PCR for Small Cell Lung Function

• 6 replies
  • 70 subscribers

Hello, I have an enquiry about treatment for Small Cell Lung Cancer. My mum got diagnosed with early stages of SCLC and got course of radio and chemo therapies. She just finished her first 3 weeks of radiotherapy to the lung ara and is about to continue with chemo. For the end of the treatment she has to go through 10 sessions of Prophylactic Cranial Radiotherapy. The doctors haven't really explained the risks of having her cognitive functions affected and I'm reading that there is no proof that the Prophylactic Cranial Radiotherapy does actually work. Has anyone have any experience of that treatment? She is 70 years old and her memory is already affected. I'm really worried. Thank you for your help. 

• Hi Popken

I had the ten sessions of PCR back in early 2012, following my chemoradiation for SCLC.  SCLC is known for it's propensity to wander to other organs; the liver and brain being the main ones.  The chemo will take care of any stray SCLC cells across the body. However,chemo cannot easily access the brain, hence the need for the PCR.  The PCR dosage is relatively low.

The CPR was by far the easiest part of my whole treatment plan. I had each of the 10 sessions (Mon - Fri) on my way to work; the radiology staff kindly arranged my sessions for the morning.  I had no side effects other than losing the hair that had started to grow back post chemo. I do have more 'senior moments'. but there again I am also 12 years older!

I never viewed the CPR as an additional treatment, just part of my overall treatment plan.  As for the possible risks; I felt the risks of not having the CPR were far greater than having it.  

Hope this helps.

Kegsy x

"If you are going through hell, keep going" ; Sir Winston Churchill
    " Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011
  • Hi, 

I had 10 sessions two years ago and the only side effects I had were vomiting and headaches. I have none now but I'm alot younger than your mum. Wishing her the best through her treatment x

• Thank you KazDora! I'm so glad the treatment went well for you. 

• Kegsy, Thank you so much for your reply. I'm so glad your treatment went and CPR was easiest part of the plan! That's very reassuring. I got very worried as during the regular radiotherapy my mum has a nerve damage on the left side of the face, same side where the tumour is. She is recovering well and just starred the chemo though. Perhaps I should just trust the process. 

• Hi Popken

Yes I trusted the process, which didn't mean I didn't query it at times.

Your Mum will be closely monitored during the CPR; if it is too much for her, they will stop the treatment.

I wish you both well.

Kegsy x

"If you are going through hell, keep going" ; Sir Winston Churchill
    " Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011