Brain mets

• 7 replies
  • 70 subscribers

Hi everyone my mum for the last week or so has developed a weakness in her right hand. She keeps dropping things, knocking this over and it’s like she has no control over it, also she’s not very steady on her feet ( like she’s losing her balance).

I’ve spoke to mums lung cancer nurse today and she thinks mum needs a CT of her head. She’s mentioned brain metastasis and told me it’s quite common with lung cancer. 
Tonight I’ve googled it ( silly of me) and have read about only lasting months with brain mets. I was just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this? Also can you get rid of brain mets?

any help / advice would be greatly appreciated xx

• Hi

Firstly, brain mets can be treated, Secondly without an MRI scan no-one knows for sure that your Mum has brain mets.

Has your Mum recently had chemo? If yes, chemo can have a usually temporary impact on nerve endings especially in the limbs. This can cause numbness and reduce the 'fine motor' skills.  I think a lot of us on here became very clumsy during/after chemo. 

I hope get this sorted at the earliest, and I wish the best possible outcome for you and your Mum.

Kegsy x

"If you are going through hell, keep going" ; Sir Winston Churchill
    " Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011
  • Hi kegsy thanks for the reply. Mum hasn’t had any treatment yet because she had COVID and hasn’t been well enough to receive any . I’ve found this really hard because she was potentially curable but they’ve said if it spreads she will be palliative 

• Hi Toot22, i am stage IV ( palliative ) to, and this since October 2015 !!! I had Brain mets, was lucky to have it removed via surgery and radiation, so it must not mean the end...stay strong for your mum. Pet

• Hi Pet Thankyou for the reply. Would you mind me asking what you’re symptoms were with the brain mets? 
    my mum went for CT head yesterday and she has her PET scan Tuesday. I’m trying to keep her fit and well but I can see she’s slowly going down hill, mobility wise. I’m wondering if this is the brain metastasis? If so can they do anything to relieve the symptoms? Also will the do anything given her declining mobility? X

• i just had headache, did not think of anything bad, ct was done from head by mistake...so i was lucky, the meta was 3,5 cm already!!

• Got confirmation on Friday mum has a 24mm brain metastasis. She’s got to go for a MRI later today,  not exactly sure what this is for, I’m sure they’ve told me but I’m struggling remembering everything at the moment . She has PET scan Tuesday then we’ve got to see the consultant Wednesday for all the results x

• With MRI you can see even smaller ones in Head and they need it for radiation or surgery to.