Prognosis?

• 2 replies
  • 15 subscribers

Hello,

Firstly, apologies if I have done this wrong, I’m new here. My Mum was diagnosed with secondary liver cancer following ocular melanoma around 2 years ago. She’s had a resection and multiple ablations. On her most recent PET scan we have discovered she has 7 mets on her liver, sarcoma and an ‘area of concern’ on her spine. Drs have advised that no further ablations are possible due to the amount of mets and the position of them in her liver. She is going to start immunotherapy in 2 weeks but I’ve heard the results on this are not good and the drs are not hopeful. I’m not really sure what I’m looking for in this post, has anyone ever known anyone at this stage with a good outcome? She’s only in her early 60’s and I suppose I’m just clinging to the thought that the immunotherapy could work against the odds. Thanks for anything x

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I don't have the experience with immunotherapy that you're looking for, but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list where hopefully it'll be more easily seen. 

You might also want to join and post this is the eye cancer group as I'm sure there'll be people there who have had immunotherapy. If this is something that you'd like to do, just click on the link I've created. That will take you to the group where you can start a new post in the same way as you did here.

It would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• My Dad had immunotherapy for secondary liver cancer from ocular melanoma. It was a big mistake! He’s 78 and only managed 2 treatments before he had a massive reaction and ended up in hospital for 3 months! He now has a permanently damaged thyroid and mobility problems due to the reaction. My advice would be to think very carefully about whether it is worth the risk as although my Dad has more time, his quality of life is now very poor.