Bowel Cancer with Liver Metastases (28 Years Old)

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 9 replies
  • 16 subscribers

Hi all, I'm hoping to reach out to some people in a similar situation to me to talk through treatments.

I'm 28 and a few weeks ago I was diagnosed with Bowel Cancer with Liver Metastases. It's been very hard to take, not only because of my age, but also because the first symptom I had was a dull ache under my right rib - none of the other hallmark symptoms you read about!

I have multiple lesions all over my liver and a single tumor in my bowel (ascending colon) meaning surgery is not an option at present. I am due to commence chemotherapy in January 2022 so I'm reaching out to others on this forum for advice, pointers on what my journey may look like and of course, any success stories?

I'm more than happy to go in to more detail if it helps anyone here!

• Hi

I'm very sorry to read that you have recently been diagnosed with bowel cancer which has spread to your liver and can understand what a shock this must have been for you.

I'm not a member of this group but I noticed that you hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' your post back to the top of the discussion list where it'll be easier to see.

However, you have had replies to the same post that you put up in the bowel cancer group. If you haven't seen the replies clicking here will take you straight to them.

It would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hello Ep1234

I hope your Chemo has started, which one are you having?

I was diagnosed in Jan 2020 with bowel cancer and had surgery in the  February then a year later to the day had surgery for Liver metastases.

Chemo is all finished for me and I'm cancer free. So I hope my story gives you hope. My Chemo was Oxaliplatin and Capecetabine, both had some unwelcome but manageable side effects. Diarrhoea was my enemy, but loperamide got that under control. You can get a toilet card from bladderandbowel.org to give you confidence when you go out, of being able to access a loo.

Like you I had none of the symptoms either, which is scary in itself.

Wishing you lots of good wishes for a successful outcome x

• HI Ep1234

I wa diagnosed with the same on 18th November last year after having been initially told I had gallstones - looking at it now similar symptoms.

I am new to chemo but am having it every two weeks. I find it hard to deal with but I have two children so I don't get as much rest as I'd like. 

Mentally I struggle but equally ready to fight the cancer if I can.  I have been given a prognosis of 1-2 years which is not what I want given my children are under the ages of 8!  I would say I find it hard to eat well - I have to eat low fibre and mostly white stuff for the bowel cancer whereas I want to eat all the coolers and have juices etc. for the liver.

I am glad to sign up to this community as I too am struggling to know what to do.  Here to chat more!

• Hi. Your message has given me some hope. I was diagnosed with bowel cancer in September 2021. The tumour was removed in December, but cancer has spread to the liver. I cannot have liver surgery due to size and shape. I am now on chemo - the same as yourself. I’ve been told that with chemo I have two years, which was a shock.

May I ask what surgery you had on your liver? I’m not sure what options are open to me, but I hope to find something.

With best wishes for your continued good health.

• I had liver resection of parts 4 and 8, I was very fortunate that they were found so early and tumours were in areas that could be operated on. I was also lucky to be looked after by one of the top surgeons in the world, from Southampton, what he's doesn't know about livers isn't worth knowing. 

Reading your stories has made me realise how flippin lucky I have been. 

My heart goes out to all of you who have a different prognosis, I can't begin to imagine how you live with that knowledge, yet it's a question I often have to address working as I do as a funeral celebrant working with families and people who ask me to write their life  history in preparation for their funeral, no two stories are ever the same, and everyone has different ways of coping, I always come home full of admiration for them and even more determined to make every moment count.

No matter how hard it is, make memories, life story books for your loved ones, tell them how much you love them, make memory boxes for your children, and videos while you are well so they have something to treasure - people often say they forget what their loved one sounded like.

Much love to anyone on this path, my thoughts and good wishes are with you all xxxx

• Hi Ted , glad to hear that you’re cancer free feeling well ! My dad has kidney cancer which has spread to the bowel and also to the liver now ! What the name of the doctor who did the surgery on the liver ?

Wishing you the best !

• Hi Dom, I was under Professor Primrose and his team in Southampton, Dr Takhar did the actual surgery under the profs guidance.

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad, and that the cancer has metastasized to his bowel and liver, I so hope he has a good outcome from treatment. X

• Hi bazza what size was your lesion in the liver 

• Hi

I didn't ask the size! I just know that there is a lot of it spread all over the liver.