Could my husband have secondary liver cancer

• 3 replies
  • 15 subscribers

My husband had stage 3 aggressive bowel cancer 4 years ago . It was found after he had a month of not opening his bowels and after taking more and more laxatives a decision was taken to operate on what was thought to be adhesions from previous surgery's. They found the cancer removed it and part of his large intestine and lyph nodes. He then had 6 months  chemo.

2 months prior to finding the cancer he had done a stool sample that was clear of cancer!!

He has been for all blood tests and scans since with the all clear each time

He has had constant tummy pain and  nausia  and seveer tiredness he has visited own doctor a few times  and been given blood tests and has to take Laxido regularly for constipation and has been given Lansaprosol for nausia/indigestion

He also has a small  insisional hernia he is waiting to be repaired

Recently the pain on his right side and across tummy got so bad he went to A& E he was scaned and sent home as nothing showed ,thought hernia had righted it self.

2 weeks later the seveer pain caused him to pass out  while waiting in  A&E. scanned. told small bowel blockage given nasal gastric tube to relieve preasure after 4 days sent home on low residue diet

1 week later sever pain again nasal tube again  by now had lost a stone in a month so fed intravenously sent home after 10 days to continue low residue diet

He has been at home for 3 half days still in some pain paracetamol  to help  After eating more pain, so not eating much 

Is it possible for scan or blood tests not to show secondary cancer It did not show on original cancer so I'm scared  they are missing somthong again 

Especially as they are concentrating on the hernia and adhisions causing pain and blockage but not seeming to resolve issue 

Also due to covid they are so busy and hospital is full each visit to A& E my husband has had to wait between 14 and 23 hours for a bed on a ward and well over the 4 hours to be initially seen by a doctor.

Told this time as they had reduced pain to go home as covid a risk but pain was reduced as he had not been eating while in hospital 

Has anyone else experienced  similar or scans and blood test not highlighting cancer

• Hi and a warm welcome to the online community

I can totally understand why you're worried that your husband's recent problems might be caused by the bowel cancer he was diagnosed with 4 years ago.

I can't answer your questions but I thought I'd suggest that you also join and post this in the bowel cancer group where you'll find lots of helpful people. If this is something that you'd like to do just click on the link I've created and then join and post in the same way as you did here. To save you typing this all out again you could copy and paste your post from here into a new post in the bowel cancer group.

I do hope that you and your husband can soon find out what's causing his problems.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi 

If you click on my user name you can read my mum’s story ! You will see she has had her share of abdominal surgery! She did have some pain and issues we attributed to adhesions! Once I had googled them I could understand how these impact bowel function !

I can totally understand your concern ! My mum has had over ten liver mets and actually never had a single symptom from them but other people do report some pain ! 
    Have you being keeping an eye on his CEA levels ? If they are a good marker for him they should rise if he has a spread to the liver !

Just to reassure you my mum had substantial mets the first year ! They were fully visible on her CT scan ! The second year they were smaller but still visible on the CT scan !

Hope he is doing a bit better now but can totally understand why this concerns you !

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• I’m really sorry to hear your husband’s story. My bowel cancer wasn’t detected by any blood test. I now have secondary liver cancer which also wasn’t picked up by a blood test. I have a letter telling me how encouraging it was that my cea levels were extremely low!  Unfortunately, it’s the only test they do. I’m waiting for my MRI and Pet scan results. I will definitely be asking for more regular scans, as it was my routine bowel scan that finally detected the liver cancer. I wish you and your husband the very best for the future. Make a nuisance of yourselves if necessary.