Much Needed Advice

• 3 replies
  • 16 subscribers

My wife had bowel, liver and lung cancer two years ago and went through major surgery, Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy to rid her of it however, after two cancer free years, it has returned to her liver. The doctor said she had three options:- more chemotherapy, open surgery or do nothing. My wife is 64yrs and has been in a lot of pain since her first treatments and her quality of life is now very poor. She definitely doesn't want to go Chemotherapy again (as she had a nightmare the last time) and feels as though another operation on top of all the previous operations might not be worth it. So, currently, both of us don't know what is the best option for her i.e. do nothing or to get the surgery which might not work and could leave her in even more pain. We would really appreciate members thoughts on what to do and if anyone has been in a similar position.

Thanks

Mr Mac

• Hello Mr Mac

I hope you do not mind me replying as I had a different type of cancer to your wife, but by doing so it will hopefully bump your post. 

I am so sorry to hear that your wife's cancer has returned to her liver. It must be really devastating after all her previous treatment.

It is hard sometimes to know what is best to do when making treatment decisions and I am sorry that your wife is in pain and affecting her quality of life. Perhaps you could give the Support Line a call and talk things through with one of the nurses? They would be able to explain more about what could happen with each option.

I do understand your wife's feelings about the chemotherapy. I had chemotherapy for my own cancer and it does make you feel really unwell and takes a long time to recover from. I wonder whether it would be worth asking whether the chemo regime the doctor is talking about is the same one she had before or a different one. I know through adjustments to my own chemo, that different drugs can have different side effects. 

Has your wife got a supportive CNS that you could talk things through with? 

I wish you and your wife well, whichever decisions you make and I hope that she can get her pain settled.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Jane and thanks for your reply. We have arranged another meeting with the surgeon who will be doing the operation as both our minds were a bit numb on hearing that her cancer had returned. I have also taken your advice re contacting the support line and they were very helpful. I think she is now considering the surgery although she did say that she's not 100% sure but hopefully our conversation with the surgeon re the chances of success and possible complications involved in the surgery will help her to make the final decision.

Take care

Mr Mac

• I hope the surgeon can answer your questions and help you both decide the way ahead. And remember the Support Line is there again if you need it.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm