Is anyone else going through this? Help

• 5 replies
  • 18 subscribers

Hi, I’m amy

my mum was diagnosed with liver cancer (10cm lump) just before Christmas. Since then we have been back and forth having CT scans, MRI scans and recently a biopsy. It’s confirmed cancer in liver too close to vena cava so can’t operate and will be starting chemo within next 3 weeks  is this a normal wait time?? It has been over 4 month since the cancer was diagnosed  it it doesn’t shrink away from vena cava then what??

iinitially told that it could be removed, went for an appointment which we thought would confirm the surgery, but then the consultant wanted to have a closer look before operation. The result discovered that the lump is in/near the vena cava therefore unable to have surgery. 

we were then told that she could have chemotherapy to ideally shrink the tumour away from the vena cava. If this works then surgery will be an option to remove it. They did a biopsy and confirmed its cholangiocarcinoma bile duct cancer. They have said she will start GemC chemotherapy but will have to wait another 3 weeks for the appointment. we have been waiting since Christmas!!!!! This feels like it’s taking forever and in the meantime it’s obviously spreading!!!!! The consultant at the oncology today said that there’s a LESS than 50% chance of it shrinking away from the vena cava and therefore life expectancy of 1-2 years!!!! I have so many questions in my mind. Is that 1-2 years from today? Based on the fact that the tumour is in her vena cava. 

is anyone else going through the same situation? Please connect with us. I have two other sisters we are in disbelief and shock. It feels like a journey where we keep getting told one thing - filled with false hope and then suddenly another shock and bad news. I can’t imagine life without my mum and now being told 1-2 years???? So will she have 3-6 months of chemotherapy and then possibly 6 months left to live - this seems crazy to me!!! Help and support needed

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that your mum has recently been diagnosed with liver cancer.

I'm not a member of this forum but noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again.

While you're waiting for replies, it would be great if you could put something about your mum's diagnosis and proposed treatment into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Amy. Sorry to hear your news. My partner was recently diagnosed with secondary liver cancer and we are devasted too. Right now, we don't known if a resection is possible but cling on to hope. Chemo will start this week which is about 7 or 8 weeks after diagnosis. I am still in that mindset where, if we don't get the answer we want, I will be exploring second opinions, alternative treatments etc. But I have to wonder if that is just to make me feel better or useful. It us an incredibly difficult time. We are trying to talk about it with family which helps to a degree (not carrying the burden yourself) so I hope you and your sisters can be open and honest with each other. I think the combination of uncertainty and hope/false hope is the most difficult thing so I really hope for your sake (and your mum's) that you get some certainty soon. It is a crap place to be. Wishing you and your family the very best.
  • I also have been diagnosed with secondary liver cancer early January, the primary cancer is in the bowel, after appointments with both consultants it was decided they would remove the tumor in the bowel and part of the liver this was to be 5th march 2024,  5 days before the scheduled surgery I was sent for updated scans which showed the cancer in the liver had spread more so surgery was now not a option after many more tests I’m to have chemotherapy starting this week, then if the liver responds and kills off some of the cells it’s possible I may be able to have surgery at a later date this has been an awful shock to me as I was fit and health for my 81years, I feel very positive really but deep down I not sure that this will have a favorable outcome 

• Hi

my husband was diagnosed with oesophageal cancer that is liver mets, a 9cm tumour on the liver, given palliative care only, also in lymph nodes. This was diagnosed following a trip to A&E at the end of November. My husband is a healthy 60 year old, who was going gym five times a week. To say life has been a roller coaster since would be an understatement. 

He has had his fourth chemo session, and has immunotherapy as well. The chemo has got worse as time has gone on, he last had chemo two weeks ago today and is still wiped out, hardly eats, feel sick, lethargic, neuropathy in hands/arm, lost over a stone and half. 

we have to wait for the last chemo session before we get another scan to see what’s happening. I wish you got a half way through check in to just boost him, it’s the unknown. He is struggling with pains in his chest, and today was the first time I have had to call the emergency number. 
    we have had to up his morphine making him more sleepy.

The prognosis we were given was three months without chemo, and 9 to 12 with chemo. We are just keeping everything crossed. 

I wish you all well, and it’s so good having this site to turn for support, my only advise is don’t google

take care x

• Sorry to hear the chemo has got worse.Hopefully it will be worth it and give you some extra time together.Heart