Just joined

• 5 replies
  • 16 subscribers

Hi

My dad has been diagnosed with primary liver cancer. They have said it is a rare form (I don’t have a name) and he is to start immunotherapy. It is incurable and treatment is to only to add months to his life. He currently has no symptoms and seems fine but I reckon he is hiding his feelings.  

I have been very fortunate that I have never ever been on this journey before of cancer or grief/loss. So I am blindsided. I am very weepy and my eyes leak randomly. I am trying to support my mum and my anxious daughter who is distraught. My husband and son seem in a much better place. Can anyone give some top tips and advice on what I can expect on this journey and how I can support my dad, family and cope myself. I feel I am grieving even though he is still alive. 

Thank you. 

• Hello Cornflakecrunch & welcome to the group. I am so sorry to hear about your dad. Dads are vastly underrated and I lost mine nearly 10 years ago. They can be grumpy old wotsits but we still love them.  I am a Primary Liver Patient and I have recently had my 9th cycle of immunotherapy drugs and I have to say that I am doing fantastically. I get tired and realise that when I do I rest. Everything works as it should so I'm as cheerful as I can be. Please ensure your Dad gets the rest he will need and encourage him to share his thoughts and feelings with you. I know that things will change with time so I make the best of things. He should also have been assigned a Macmillan or similar nurse. Use them they are something special. I wish your dad well for as long as possible.  Jackie x

• Thank you. It’s very early days. He has his first treatment on Thursday. I am encouraged and happy that at the moment you are doing well. Take care . 

• My husband was diagnosed with primary liver cancer 8 wks ago and has just had his first immunotherapy treatment. He has 3 tumours and one is on a blood supply and is 7cm so very worrying. The other 2 are much smaller. It’s not curable but been told he can live for many years by having ongoing treatment every 3 wks. Can even see old age is what the oncologist told us which is promising. It’s given us more hope now than when we were first told. He is always very tired and can’t work at the moment. 

• Thank you. That is promising news. Bet you feel slightly better. We were told the immunotherapy would only add months. But onto how long they won’t say. His treatment is every 3 weeks too. Here is hoping for a positive outcome for your family and mine xx

• Thanks for your reply and I wish you all the best for treatment and positive outcome.