Terminal liver cancer

• 2 replies
  • 17 subscribers

My mum was told last week that her current tumour has grown since previous treatment and there is a second tumour . Her liver function isn't great and that she will not be receiving any further treatment other that palliative.  

I'm totally devastated as you can imagine . 

We will be meeting with her team just after the new year and I guess we will maybe find out more information but at the mon I feel that she is left in limbo and trying to come to terms with it all at the minute. 

• Hello   I have just read your post and am so sorry to hear about your mum's diagnosis. It's devastating news and does take time to come to terms with it - and as you say the wait for further information into the New Year isn't helping. I have a different cancer but the following may help:

May I make a few suggestions, first of all by me replying, your post will be "bumped" back to the top of the forum and will be read by other forum members who will be able to give you some support as they may well be travelling on the same or similar journey.

It may help you to join a couple of other forums we have, Carers only forum and Family and friends forum . You will find plenty of help and support there. To do this just click on the links I have provided and when the page opens up just click on "join" on the black banner at the bottom of the page. You can then introduce yourself in the " New to the forum" .

* Do you have a "Maggie's" centre near you - these are cancer support charity - to find your nearest one - 0300 123 1801 or enquiries@maggiescentres.org or www.maggiescentres.org

* Have you thought about asking your hospital PALS service (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) to see if they can get an earlier appointment with your mum's team as the long wait is causing your family anxiety.

* You can always ring our support line for extra help on 0808 808 00 00 (8am to 8pm 7 days a week) they are a great team and will be able to offer extra support.

I hope you don't mind me replying with the above and that the above information helps your circumstances. If I can do anything else for you please don't hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi  

I'm sorry to read of your mum's situation and that you feel in limbo due to when the appointment is. I just wanted to suggest that it may be worth asking your mum's GP to do a home visit to assess her current health and to discuss what the next steps are.

It may help to have a look at this group for support for yourself and other family members. This is the link  Supporting someone with incurable cancer forum 

As   suggested, if you feel you need to speak to someone the Macmillan helpline is open and they are very helpful and supportive. Best regards to you all.

A x

What is a Community Champion?

I am a Macmillan volunteer. 

Macmillan Support Helpline

0808 808 00 00 

7 days a week between 8am -8pm