Cancer of Unknown Primary - Spread to Liver

• 1 reply
  • 15 subscribers

Hello, 

I don't know where else to go to ask these questions. I am in a foreign country with my in-law family. My mother in law was diagnosed with cancer two months ago. She had a sizeable tumor on her liver, it also spread to her lymph nodes and lungs. I am posting in the Liver Cancer forum because I did not find unknown primary. 

The hospital here really messed up administratively, and by the time she was referred to see the correct oncologist, her cancer has advanced to a stage where she is basically untreatable. In a matter of weeks the liver is completely covered in cancer, he blood markers for liver failure are off the charts. She is swollen everywhere and each day looks more jaundice than the last. 

I'm not sure if there are any medical professionals responding in these forums, but regardless, even if it is anecdotal experience, I'm hoping to hear from anyone with experience to try and estimate how much time she might have left. Each step of the process takes at least a week and the doctors won't seem to give straight answers. Of course it's impossible to say, but I am trying to budget time and resources to make her as comfortable as possible. 

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the online community

I'm very sorry to read that your mother-in-law has been diagnosed with cancer of unknown primary which has spread to her liver and lungs and I can totally understand what a worrying time this will be for you.

I hope you don't mind me suggesting a few other groups for you to join where you will be able to connect with others who have a similar diagnosis to your mother-in-law. The first ones are the unknown primary cancer group, secondary liver cancer group and secondary lung cancer group. These are all great places to ask questions and share experiences about treatment.

The other group I want to recommend is the supporting someone with incurable cancer group which is for carers, friends and families of people with a terminal diagnosis to discuss their emotions about the prospect of losing their loved ones, as well as practical issues about palliative care and end of life.

To join all or any of these groups just clicks on the links I've created and then join and post in the same way as you did here. You can also  join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'. 

It would be great if you could pop something about your mother-in-law's diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

If you have any difficulty navigating the community just drop me a reply and I'll be pleased to help

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"