My aunt has liver cancer

• 1 reply
  • 15 subscribers

Hello, I am new to this forum and site. 

My aunt who I am very close to has recently been diagnosed with liver cancer but unfortunately there is nothing the doctors can do. She is very thin, tired and has a very swollen abdomen and she is being cared for at home now by family. Since being home as a palliative care patient, she is using an alternative organic juice and veg diet. She is responding well to it and it is making her happy but I don't know how long this can be sustained as her children are emotionally drained already taking care of her. I'm still in shock at the diagnosis, my aunt being too weak to have any intervention and now she is just on a juice diet. Not sure what or how to respond to the situation or what I can do as I obviously want her to be here as long as is possible.

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm very sorry to read that your aunt has been diagnosed with liver cancer and it's understandable that you don't know how to respond to this situation.

I hope you don't mind me suggesting that you join the supporting someone with incurable cancer group which is a safe and supportive place for carers, friends and families of people with a terminal diagnosis to discuss their emotions as well as practical issues about palliative care.

If this is something that you'd like to do then click on the link I've created which will take you to the group. You can then join and post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

When you feel ready it would be great if you could pop something about your aunt's diagnosis and treatment into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"