Dad diagnosed with terminal cancer

• 2 replies
  • 16 subscribers

Hey,

My dad was diagnosed with liver cancer (also spread to his lungs and pancreas) 2 weeks ago. He had no symptoms until the end of June and was very fit and healthy - so it’s been a total, and devastating, shock. 

He’s been told he only has 3-6 months to live. We had gone private for quick answers and are back in the NHS. We had an appointment today at the liver clinic and will be seen next at oncology to look at chemo to slow the cancer down and maybe buy him some more time.

I just wondered if anyone has been through this themselves or with a family member. I guess I’d like to know how the chemo was and was it worth the extra time they maybe got? At the moment my dad feels well and although I know it won’t last, we wonder if chemo is worth it if it means he will be ill and too unwell to enjoy the time he has. 

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to read that your dad has recently been diagnosed with liver cancer which has spread to his lungs and pancreas and I know what a worrying time this will be for you all.

I'm not a member of this group but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet and responding to you will 'bump' your post back to the top of the page where it'll hopefully be seen by someone who has had chemotherapy and who can tell you about their experiences.

If you haven't already, you could type 'chemotherapy' into the search bar at the top of the screen to look for others in the group who have had this treatment. You could then reply to any of the more recent posters if you thought they could help you further.

While you're waiting for replies it would be great if you could pop something about your dad's diagnosis and treatment into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• My mother  was diagnosed with same liver cancer which is also spread to her lungs and bones....doctors told me it is an advanced stage and there is nothing they can do .about chemo as her liver is not functioning properly and on stage c wont be able to tolerate that...idk am looking for answers and if someond can tell me any treatment or any hope that would be great ...they told my mom have either weeks or months not years...so i want solution which can slow down damaging process and add some time in her life