End stage cancer, what to expect

• 2 replies
  • 15 subscribers

Hello,

Hope you are well.

I am posting here as I don’t expect anyone to be able to give me an answer but I wonder if anyone can share their experiences with end stage cancer and acites. My dad was diagnosed with bowel and liver cancer in 2018 and although we weren’t told at the time, we later found out that he was only expected to live for a few months. Well here we are in 2021 after he surpassed all expectations with the help of chemotherapy :) Unfortunately however, that ran its course and became ineffective in October last year and heartbreakingly, his liver is now too badly diseased to have any additional or trials treatment. Although he has had his bowel cancer removed, he also has tumors in his lungs and various lymph nodes.

Over the last 6 weeks or so, he has began to suffer from a build up of fluid in his abdomen which is now extremely swollen. At his last call with his oncologist she explained that this could be drained which we will arrange. He is on morphine now but although he gets pains, it’s more the discomfort that bothers him & he is always completely exhausted. He lives at home alone and between my sister & me, we see him daily. I think he will soon move in with my wonderful Nan.

I’d love to hear other peoples experiences of what may happen next / what to look out for / how long we have left with him. I also need to prepare my children for what’s to come, they are 6 & 7. My work is very supportive & I am going to ask about taking some time out each week to spend with him as I feel like every moment is precious. I wish there was a crystal ball to see what the next few months look like.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I think hearing your experiences will help me.

• I have had end stage liver cancer twice, I have been fighting it sence 2017. I was lucky it did not spread to other organs. First time I had a liver resection second time I had a Y90 treatment and went on a transplant list. It got pretty bad when on top of everything else I got the Covid and that lasted for 4 months . I Did'int test neg. untill Jan. 16 and had a hard time because I was so week . On Feb 24 I rercived a Liver transplant , it's been 6 weeks so far and I'm getting stronger everyday . I wish the best for your farther I know it's not easy but keep the fight. People with cancer don't worry so much about them self we have already made peace with our maker, they worry more about there love ones,  So let him know you and family will be ok and it's ok to go. 

• Thank you for your message, it’s wonderful to hear you are doing well and getting stronger Slight smile

Covid has a lot to answer for doesn’t it. My Dad was all set for trials but he then caught covid in January, and once he had recovered, his cancer had progressed too far and his liver was too badly affected.

Your point about the person with cancer not worrying about themselves is so true. I am so lucky to have such an inspiration father, he has never worried about himself throughout this whole process, and has remained upbeat and pushed to keep himself active and put on a brave face for his loved ones. I just wish I had a crystal ball, but unfortunately such things don’t exist.

Look after yourself and thank you for taking the time to get in touch.