No options and baffled

• 6 replies
  • 14 subscribers

Hi

19 months ago I suddenly started passing blood in my urine and obviously went straight to GP who sent me straight to hospital 26 hours later was told I have an 8cm tumour on my liver and it is cancerous. An oncologist told me I had a couple of months left and to go home and get my affairs in order. My wife was frantic and almost hysterical, I think I had gone into shock and duly went through the motions of updating my will and buying my funeral. The couple of months came and went and I felt quite well for a dying fella. Over the next few months I grew stronger and fitter every day, I went back to work, took xmas leave to go to Berlin. I am still at work, go fishing at weekends, have just finished a loft conversion at home and still keep getting better each month.

The oncologist at my hospital will not prescribe a single thing that might help, all they say is my bilirubin marker is too high (42) my level was 328 when I went to hospital at first so I thought we would be OK for treatment but no, I have twice hit the target required for bilirubin count and both times the oncologist has said there was another target he hadn't mentioned which I did not hit. Its now 19 months later with not so much as an aspirin from the NHS. I am so baffled, so frustrated and now am too tired to continue arguing with the doctors. I feel abandoned and even a little paranoid that the oncologist is never going to help no matter what my bloods read, I honestly think he wants me to go away and die as he predicted. I have taken out a formal complaint about the dept concerned but am getting a strong feeling that the body I have complained to are far from impartial.

I no longer know what to do next, I don't even think it's worth going to routine appointments as it takes me days to get over speaking to these people.

• That’s shocking . I have a completely different cancer but I do have liver mets . I’m just at the start of my journey I’m 37 thought I was fit and well . Little did I know I have super rare kidney cancer with spread . So my prognosis is also not good . But reading your story made me really mad . Have you contacted any experts or other hospitals for a second opinion 

• Hi Kyle8

Sorry to hear of your condition, it really is the most emotionally charged thing I believe any human can go through.

Yes I did try for a second opinion and was again shocked to find this is how it works. Your oncologist sends your records to the oncologist giving second opinion, all of his notes, blood counts etc, then writes a note explaining why he reached the decision he did and then oncologist two says "yes I agree" end of second opinion. He never sees you or arranges his own tests, nothing. The only person that finds this situation as frustrating as me is my GP, he is absolutely incredulous at this decision but alas is only a lowly GP and has a very limited input. He is a marvellous fella and I would have given up ages ago if it wasn't for him 

Henna

• Crazy to think how they can play god . I’d suggest if you can get the money together having a private appointment. Get the relevant information needed there tell you what they need and send it to them . I think it was £300 for a 20 minute phone call with a professor from Harley street 

• Sorry to beat you to it Kyle8 I Paid a private clinic to find out that they also can't prescribe the chemo I would need whilst there was opposition from an oncologist using the childs pugh scoring system (which is the check sheet they are using) but they could offer me an immunology package for 20,000 euros. Also all the other clinics I approached in the UK would not deal with self funding cancer patients, you need a big fat insurance company behind you as they don't argue they just pay up. I suppose its so if you can't pay they are not seen as the company sending bailiffs to a dying man's home?

Henna 

• Hi 

Has your cancer spread from somewhere else? My husband was similar to yourself, he was initially diagnosed with a large tumour on the liver then a week later was told it was in his oesophagus with mets to the liver and lymph nodes, he was still given chemotherapy. I cannot remember his Alp/Alt went up to 528. Prognosis was three months without chemo and nine to twelve with. 
    My husband was 60 years old, fit healthy, he deteriorated rapidly over the last month and passed away a week ago. I would be raging, regardless whether it is or isn’t going to work surely you should be given the chance. 

• Hi

• No the cancer is solely in the liver, I am worried it will spread as we do nothing about it.
    • I am 55 and otherwise physically fit, still at work, taking holidays eating well etc. I really do not understand why I can't be given this chance, I am just to overc and over that it might do more harm than good although not all the doctors agree with this.
    • I am so sorry for your loss, this is a horrible, sneaky illness which is difficult enough to deal with without doctors being deliberately obstructive.