Advanced Liver Cancer

• 2 replies
  • 12 subscribers

I am pretty new to this site - found out 2 days ago that my partner has advanced stage aggressive liver cancer. He's been told it's incurable and although he will be going through chemo, he's been told he's got potentially a year left. 

I am absolutely broken hearted and devastated and I just don't know how to cope with this kind of thing.

I have seen a lot of comments saying that focusing on the things you can control helps but all that keeps going through my mind is how am I supposed to watch him slowly die? He's 29 so we're never going to get to have a life together and this is just crushing me. 

If anyone has any advice, I would gladly take it.

• Mushkin, I am so sorry to hear your news I know what a terrible shock it is, I have the same cancer however the doctors felt chemo would be a waste of time and to just live out the few months I have as best I can, obviously my wife was devastated and we were both in shock. Gradually we began to talk about our possibilities but kept just breaking down in tears, I was more willing to talk than she was as she just couldn't begin to deal with the awful situation we were in. We eventually decided she should get some counselling and although she refused at first and said she couldn't see the point as nothing would change etc she finally arranged an appointment. After the first session she sounded slightly different and after the 2nd and 3rd I could see a huge difference in the way she was coping, we were able to talk and plan, arrange breaks and even put a life plan together. She looks and feels more capable now.

I am not sure if the suggestion has helped but also the 4 to 6 months I was given is now 18 months ago and I am still at work, holidaying and living out life as best I can. Mushkin I can only advise you talk to a professional and get your husband to eat drink and exercise and stay as healthy as possible. I know its not much and I really feel for you both. I wish you all the luck in the world 

• Hi Henna,

Thank you so much, I have suggested counseling to him and he thinks that's an excellent idea for dealing with all the emotions etc. 

Your story really gives me hope and it's relieving to hear that someone with the same situation is still going and living life as they can. 

Best wishes to yourself and your wife