liver cancer with portal vein thrombus

• 2 replies
  • 13 subscribers

hi my dad has just been diagnosed with liver cancer with portal vein thrombus. Just about six weeks ago we had no idea what was to come. He ended up in hospital with a chest infection,

which was the way we found out about a problem with his liver. Got referred to Leeds, this appointment had to be cancelled  after being discharged and readmitted a week later with pneumonia. The new appointment, which we were hoping would involve some more in depth tests but no was just given one blood test to check liver function and was told nothing could be done. The mass is large but we haven't been told how large or at what stage the cancer is at. Surgery has been ruled out because of the portal vein and they say he isn't fit enough to withstand any other treatments. Has anyone got any thoughts on what we could try? Would a second opinion be worth a try?

We are desperate to try something it feels like he is being written off without trying.

Daniel 

• Hi Daniel and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that your dad has recently been diagnosed with liver cancer and it's understandable that you want to look into all possibilities.

I don't know whether a second opinion would come up with anything different to what you and your dad have already been told but it is something that you could look into. Clicking here will take you to information about getting a second opinion.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you for the reply. After talking with some MacMillan Nurses, they highlighted how doctors host meetings to discuss patient care, given credence to the idea that other doctors might not say anything different.

I'd still like to hear from somebody else, but I fear  getting the same response. I don't want him to die but they won't do anything. He's my motivation. Without him...I might as well be dead too. It's pointless to talk about this with people. They can't change anything...