Complications following liver radiation

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 12 subscribers

My wife was diagnosed in August 2019 with HCC, 8x9 cm tumor. She has Hep C, and COPD, so she cannot have a transplant or resection. She received 2 treatments of radioembolization in September/October. We were told in December that the tumor was still alive, but she could not have more of those treatments due to liver damage. She received 5 RT treatments in February and early March. She has pain and nausea every day since. We cannot go back to the hospital right now due to COVID-19. Is this pain and nausea to be expected? I am having trouble getting an understanding from doctors. Don’t know if this is something we should be concerned about or not. 

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to hear that your wife has constant pain and nausea since her radiotherapy treatment in March. I haven't had radiotherapy, so don't know if this is common or not, but have found this information for you on the side effects of radiotherapy. It does list feeling sick as something that can happen but goes on to say that it can be controlled with drugs once treatment is finished.

Has your wife spoken to her CNS about how she is feeling? If not then perhaps you could encourage her to call her and explain how she feels so that her team are aware and can possibly do something to help.

When you have a minute it would be useful if could pop something about your wife's journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

I do hope your wife can get these side effects under control quickly.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"