82 yr old, 12cm x 10cm tumour, TACE or no treatment???

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 12 subscribers

My dad has recently been diagnosed with a cancerous tumour of the liver is 12cm x 10cm. We were totally unaware of it, he is fit and well, no weight loss, yellowing of skin or pain, it was picked up through a routine blood test and escalated from there.

He has been offered TACE or just to leave it and treat the symptoms as they appear. I don’t know what to advice him to do?? Can any one help please? Is it worth going through the side effects? I just wish we didn’t have the choice and it was just one or the other. The last thing I want is for my dad to feel Ill esp since he has no symptoms at present

Thank you to anyone who can offer any advice

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to read that your dad has recently been diagnosed with liver cancer. It must be a very difficult time for you all, made harder by having to make treatment decisions.

I didn't have the same type of cancer as your dad so can't offer any experiences with either watch and wait or TACE. If you want to read about others experiences with TACE typing TACE into the search bar in this group brings up a number of recent posts. You could have a read of these and respond to anyone who you think might be able to tell you more about it. However, everyone reacts differently and your dad might get no side effects, some side effects or lots of side effects and there's no way of knowing in advance.

You might also find this information from Macmillan on making a treatment decision useful to read. It's important that your dad has all the information that he needs to make his decision and if this means having another meeting with his consultant then this is what he should arrange.

Wishing you and your dad all the best

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• TACE is not that brutal a treatment. It poisoned the 4.5 cm tumour I had very thoroughly.

Martyn.