Symptoms/Blood Tests

• 2 replies
  • 9 subscribers

Hi, 

I'm new here, so apologies if this isn't the right place for this.

I am currently going through the process of figuring out if I have leukaemia with my GP and I was just wondering what your symptoms were, and what your blood tests looked like if you were diagnosed?

Did anyone have a normal/unconcerning blood test result but still have leukaemia? 

Did anyone have to press their GP for a referral for a biopsy? 

Apologies for all of the questions, trying to best prepare myself and be realistic. If you feel comfortable sharing your story, I would be incredibly grateful.

• Hi  

Sorry to hear you are having tests to see if you have leukaemia. It must be a difficult time for you.

I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic leukaemia in September 2012. My symptoms started around July 2012. I was feeling a bit dizzy and also a bit out of breath. I put it down to more computer screen time and perhaps a bit of hay fever.

Then I went away abroad  in late August and I started to become quite out of breath and had chest pains when I exerted myself.. Early September I had booked to see my GP on a Monday but the week before I got a terrible headache and went to my local A & E.

They ran bloods and my red blood cell cunt was very low and my white blood cell count was incredibly high. They immediately gave me a blood transfusion as my haemoglobin (Red blood cell) count was around 4 (normal is 14 - 18). The next morning they diagnosed the leukaemia and I was transferred to Barts in London

The symptoms for the different types of leukaemia are all different of course, so I can only comment on ALL. 10 years on, after a stem cell transplant in May 2013,  I am still doing fine.

Hopefully your GP will get to the bottom of the diagnosis quickly for you. 

Paul

What is a Community Champion?

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

• Hi  

Sorry to hear that you are having tests with your GP. It must be a difficult time for you.

I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia in September 2012. 

My symptoms started in July 2012 and I was having dizzy spells and I was slightly out of breath. I put this down to more computer time at work (did I need glasses?) and also perhaps I had hay fever.

I went away in late August abroad and became more breathless, dizzy and had some chest pains (more of a burning sensation).

I had booked to see my GP on my return but a few days before I had such a bad headache I went to my local A & E. They ran bloods and found I was anaemic and my white blood cell counts where very very high. They gave a blood transfusion straight away and by the next morning diagnose leukaemia and transferred me to Barts In London.

Now almost 10 years later IO am doing fine. I had a stem cell transplant back in 2013. There are many forms of leukaemia and they can present differently. Hopefully your GP will get some answers,  and give you a diagnosis and hopefully it wont be leukaemia.

Paul

What is a Community Champion?

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.