undergoing tests for Leukaemia

• 1 reply
  • 11 subscribers

Hi there, to start off I would like to say I have yet to be diagnosed with leukaemia but I am undergoing tests for it. Im looking for some guidance on what to look for and expect.

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in December last year, my psa was only 2.0 bloods were normal. Family history of aggressive cancer with my father, passed only two years after diagnosis.

Two months ago I started to get bone pain in my left femur, then the base of my spine, then one day in my car my spine started making a cracking noise, as I got out of the car my spine in the middle gave a loud crack, instant pain, headache from hell, a really hot feeling in my chest, had to go to bed for 24 hrs due to the pain.

The bone pain does come and go from day to day, some days it feels like its very mild, then the next day it can be awful

As it stands atm I have pain in both femurs, left shin bone, left hip bone (not joint) lower spine, middle spine, upper spine, both upper arm bones, constant headache, most of the time a hot feeling in my left lung. Feel wiped out all the time, constant sweating when walking, oh and ive got a red rash on my right foot that has been there for almost 6 months, the GP didn’t know what it was, goes away with steroid cream (so not fungal), stop the cream and it instantly starts to come back, red blotchy skin with small red dots (spots), all the gp would say was it looks like the blood vessels are bursting below the skin. It does look very much like “leukaemia red spot”

I have had an xray of my lungs – all normal

White blood cell count – low

Red blood cell count – Low

PSA – up to 6.9

I am booked in for a full body bone scan in 3 weeks

Any ideas on how this looks, is anything familiar with your symptoms? Also interested to find out if others had pain in just one bone which then fairly quickly started to appear in other bones, have googled the question but cant find an answer.

Thanks for reading, sorry it’s a long one, my head is a mess with all this and as ever never get a quick answer to anything.

Dave.

• Hi Dave  and welcome to this corner of the Community....... navigating a cancer diagnosis journey can be challenging and at times take significant time.

I don’t have Leukaemia but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 at 43 with a rare (7 in a million) incurable but treatable type of Low-grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma (CTCL) eventually reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 so I do appreciate the challenges of this journey rather well.

Back in 1999 my consultant was 99% sure as to what I had....... but it took a further year and 6 biopsies to eventually get the truth...... this is how complicated blood cancers an be.

I don't think that anyone can make any informed conclusion based on the information you have given........ back when I was seeing my great GP we were convinced I had Psoriasis..... little did we know it was area skin Lymphoma.

For reliable information do check out Leukaemia Care UK who produce very good information and run various support platforms including their Buddy Scheme, they also have a Support Line on 08088 010 444

Always around to help more or just to chat.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge