Advice Appreciated.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 5 subscribers

Hello all,

My father who is 90 has been diagnosed with Leukaemia in the last week. 

Presently he still lives on his own in a 'normal' two bedroomed first floor flat without a lift. Before lockdown, he and I were discussing moving him into a retirement apartment. Even at 90, he is still fiercely independent. He started to go downhill during the lockdown (it's now easy to see why) leading me to think that he may be better in a care home instead. 

Now we almost a month later, we have the diagnosis and waiting for results of a skin biopsy from Kings. I've been informed this morning that they want to move him from the oncology ward to a rehab centre tomorrow. 

I must admit, I'm feeling lost. What happens next? I've not been told of any treatment (although at 90, I imagine it'll be palliative), will he be expected to carry on as before? He owns his property, although has taken out equity release.

What do I do next?!

• Hi

I am so sorry to hear about your Father's diagnosis with leukaemia. There are many types of leukaemia and whilst the word instantly conjures up panic and fear try not to panic too much until you speak to the medical team who will discuss the type and any treatment they will provide.

With regards to what happens next there are probably two areas.. 1 the medical side and 2 what happens to where he lives, what help is available etc.

There is a Carers forum which you can access by clicking Carers Forum . There will be lots of practical and useful advice and support here. 

You can also contact the Macmillan helpline on 0808 808 00 00 from 8am to 8pm 7 days a week and they have experts who can advise on matters regarding financial, medical and support you Father may be able to access.

If you have any questions please come back to me and I will endeavour to point you in the right direction.

Best wishes Paul

Paul

What is a Community Champion?

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.