Acute Undifferentiated Leukaemia (AUL)

• 3 replies
  • 6 subscribers

Hi all.

My dad (74 yo) was diagnosed with Acute Leukaemia about a month ago and is now in hospital receiving low intensity chemotherapy with Azacitidine & Venetoclax.

Originally he was given a working diagnosis of Acute Myeloid Leukaemia (AML), but since more genetic tests results have come back, this diagnosis has changed to Acute Undifferentiated Leukaemia (AUL), which apparently does not have significant Myeloid or Lymphoblastic characteristics. 

Apparently AUL is very rare. I spoke to my dad's consultant on Sunday, and he said that he has never seen a live case of it in his 22 years of practice, until now only having read about it in textbooks. As such my dad's prognosis is very unclear and they aren't sure how effective the current treatment will be.

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has had any experience with AUL please?

• Hi again  ......... I have had a look for AUL through the site and can't find any posts about it ........ but the drugs are often mentioned..... so let's see if anyone is around to pick up on your post.

I know the challenges well as my type of Lymphoma is 7 in a million.

Azacitidine & Venetoclax is often mentioned in other posts so you can put Azacitidine & Venetoclax into the search tool Mag near the top and have a look at older posts and as always you can hit reply to any post.

For reliably information do check out Leukaemia Care UK who produce very good information and run various support platforms including their Buddy Scheme, they also have a Support Line on 08088 010 444

Always around to chat.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you Mike. I will have a search through the other posts on the forum and also on Leukaemia Care UK as you suggested. Slight smile

• Hi,

I'm 38f and was diagnosed with AUL in September 2023 after a miscarriage and no symptoms i was aware of despite having 83% blasts. I've had Flag-ida, blinatumomab and am currently on my 2nd cycle of Azacitidine and venetoclax. The first 2 types of treatment didn't reduce the blasts by much and my bone marrow biopsy from my first cycle of Azacitidine and venetoclax didn't show that my blasts were reducing however they said that it wasn't a great sample.

My most recent bone marrow biopsy has been sent off to another hospital to see if I've got something more rare than AUL.

It's awful getting the diagnosis of cancer nevermind something that is extremely rare where there is no treatment plan the doctors can say "we'll give you this type of treatment and it's got x% of working", it's more like we'll treatment it like it's either AML or ALL and hope it works.

On top of that, for my age range it's even more rare. 

There are others who are going through the same type of treatment so worth looking at AML or ALL support groups.

Hope your dad is tolerating the treatment OK. With me I needed to take the nausea medication whilst getting Azacitidine jabs and always moisturise the area of the jabs and use cools packs will help. I'm also suffering with fatigue with my 2nd cycle so plenty of rest helps.