• 2 replies
  • 8 subscribers

Hi there 

Looking to find out anyone who has had a larygectomy 

and how they coped and how they have recovered 

I have been told I will have this end November beginning of December time 

thank you in advance 

• Hi Paulineg1

I am a Laryngectomy for 3 years, there are 2 others on the site but you are best using the Head and Neck Forum as there is more activity on there. So how do you cope- to be honest it’s more about frame of mind than coping, I just had the operation and no previous or after Chemo/Radiotherapy so really it is more straight forward as there is no damage to the voicebox if none has been done prior to the op, after RT make sure you ask plenty of questions as to the use of it and if there was any spread.

The recovery initially after op is about 2 weeks in hospital again depends on your personal recovery, the stay in hospital is not just recovery, the Speech Therapist Team will be teaching you how to cope with the new circumstances such as cleaning and care, then if you have a voice valve (TPE) fitted they will hopefully start your speech via the new arrangement.

I was back at work after 2 months (reduced hours) but quickly got use to it and have been working since and through my Oesophagus Cancer as well, I am retiring this week but am going onto Voluntary work with MacMillan.

If there is anything specific you want to know then do come back to me, the following link may  also be useful for articles and information :

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/laryngeal-cancer/living-with

https://www.laryngectomy.org.uk/

Hope all goes well and do let us know as you go along

Take Care

Tony

Community Champion Badge

We will move mountains to help people with cancer live life as fully as they can.
    We'll do whatever it takes. For information, support or just someone to talk to,

call 0808 808 00 00 or visit www.macmillan.org.uk

Onwards and UpwardsWink Laryngectomy and OC survivor 

Lead Volunteer for Hampshire MacMillan Buddy Service

• Hi there 

I just want to reply and say Thankyou 

for response this is has really helped me 

you sound so positive and been through tough time 

and have done so well even getting back to work which I also want to do 

I had 6 week’s radiotherapy back in 2018 and also laser surgery 

For larynx cancer on the left side 

and like you say this has affected tissue and my only option they said now as it’s classed as new cancer on opposite side also they think left is affected but right is worse 

and can’t have no more radiotherapy or small surgery has to be laryngectomy also said they will take some muscle from chest

just hard to remember everything that was said 

And they did say I probably be in hospital for two weeks 

I will also look on head and neck forum 

Thankyou 

pauline