Hello everyone

• 1 reply
  • 8 subscribers

Hi, hope everyone is doing well, or at least keeping their spirits up! My partner was recently diagnosed with laryngeal cancer, T3. He is currently undergoing 6 weeks of radiotherapy with 2 rounds of chemo. He also has a Peg inserted. The cancer was only found as he had surgery a couple of months ago and the anaesthetist noticed an 'odd' area. I take this as a good sign as hopefully it was found early. The only symptoms he had was a bit of a hoarse voice. I am at a loss as to how to support him. We have only been together for 10 months but love each other very much. He can be quite negative and talks about how he's got 5 years at the most....which upsets me but I just want to support him as much as I can without getting angry about the negativity he shows. Do I be honest and show my feelings, or just keep my mouth shut and try to be there for him? Sorry for the long post, just looking for support I guess. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that your partner has been diagnosed with laryngeal cancer and it's natural to want to know how best to support him.

As you know, the online community is divided up into different support groups so I'm going to recommend that you also join and post in the carers only group as that will give you the chance to connect directly with others who are supporting someone with cancer and to find out what they've found works for them.

To join, just click on the link I've created and, once you've joined, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

When you feel up to it, it would be great if you could put something about your partner's diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"