Cancer of vocal cords

• 1 reply
  • 7 subscribers

Hi I’m new to this site. Diagnosed with vocal cord cancer and just had my staging CT scan results. Now awaiting radiotherapy as they feel this is the best option for me. Not sure how I feel right now! When first told I was tearful and now 3 weeks on I guess I feel numb. Don’t know if anyone can relate to this. Have scared myself googling treatment etc so decided I would stop and join a group of others in the same situation as myself. 

• Hi Happyface

So sorry you have had the diagnosis, I know how you will be feeling and all the tests and results we have to wait for, I wasn’t really offered any alternatives other than a Laryngectomy as my Consultant explained the options thoroughly the fors and against.

Please don’t google see you have stopped, it is so frightening, you will have to decide your treatment plan with your team, all I would say is ask, ask, ask all the questions of the side effects from Radiotherapy treatment, I declined even after the operation due to the possible damage but that all depends on the levels and numbers of treatments. You have to remember that whilst the RT is focused on the vocal chords it will effect the whole area including your food pipe and airways, success is good what you have read on google ask the consultant team, and do what I did write down the questions and if possible always take someone with you to appointments as you tend to miss or forget answers

Take care and hope all goes well

Tony

Community Champion Badge

We will move mountains to help people with cancer live life as fully as they can.
    We'll do whatever it takes. For information, support or just someone to talk to,

call 0808 808 00 00 or visit www.macmillan.org.uk

Onwards and UpwardsWink Laryngectomy and OC survivor 

Lead Volunteer for Hampshire MacMillan Buddy Service