Neck stoma

• 2 replies
  • 9 subscribers

Hi new here and hopefully someone can answer my question. Still in recovery after full Laryngectomy and have progressed to eating and drinking after a little problem with a leak (the op included using chest muscle flip). So I have been eating and drinking almost everything and up to now the only problem was Lymphadeema (still is) . I’m now using the provox  neck cover and valve instead of just a bib . New problem is the sound I’m making when swallowing sounds like a gulp and an increase in belching which I hardly done until now . Normal or something I should be talking to someone about? 

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I can't help with your question but I noticed that you hadn't had any replies yet. However, I can see that you also posted in the ask a nurse section of the online community and have had a reply from one of the nurses. In case you haven't seen it clicking here will take you straight there.

I hope you don't mind me suggesting that you also join the head and neck cancer group as you'll find people there who have had the same procedure and might be able to help you further. If this is something that you'd like to do just click on the link I've created and then join the group in the same way as you did here. You can then start a new post and join in with existing conversations.

When you have a minute it would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Hoops, I too am a Laryngectomee, 2 years, you will find for quite a while you will have extra wind-both ends ! as remeber you are putting lots of air into your food pipe to speak it can be embarrassing at times, you should also have anti acid tablets to take daily, unfortunately for life to ensure acid doesn't come up with the wind and burping.

It's all fun and games to begin but the food pipe does start to settle down and the amount of juices bubbling only really effects you when you talk a lot at one time, I have to reduce the amount I talk at works meetings otherwise I have problems with what feels like phlemb in the throat.

It is a long road to get used to but you do with ongoing support and experience-my bugbare is the baseplates and not always sticking, they blame my voice is too strong-can't win !!!

Onwards and upwards

Tony

Community Champion Badge

We will move mountains to help people with cancer live life as fully as they can.
    We'll do whatever it takes. For information, support or just someone to talk to,

call 0808 808 00 00 or visit www.macmillan.org.uk

Onwards and UpwardsWink Laryngectomy and OC survivor 

Lead Volunteer for Hampshire MacMillan Buddy Service