Re total larangectomy for recurrent cancer

• 18 replies
  • 6 subscribers

Hi to all 

I have been told I need a total larangectomy for larynx cancer on other side possibly also same side but not as bad as last time ,having had radiotherapy and laser for previous cancer .this is my only option .

i have been reading and am worried as always says there are lots of problems due to previous radiotherapy and surgery’s on tissues now I am wondering to leave this I do not want to suffer anymore .

i have a pre op tomorrow and the surgery if pre op goes well next Saturday

urgent advice needed I don’t think it’s worth putting myself or family through anymore I am 59 now 

had gone back to work and driving now it’s all happening again 

prayers and love to all going through this nasty c word 

• Hi Chris
    I do have problems swallowing seems to be more hot liquid things makes me cough bad , not so much water or food . They said cud be aspirating .

also hardly no voice and like u said damage due to previous ops and radiotherapy. 
    Also have paralysed right vocal chord since last biopsy which is so frustrating 

at the moment I’m on ssp , and I hope if it takes a year my work will take me back they have been good up till now 

like u say technology is great now and I’m sure same with surgery , so hopefully I will be ok just makes  u feel so helpless. 
    well I will see what the phone call brings tomorrow and keep u updated if that’s ok I know I will need support and as u have been there and come out other end so to speak , it wud be great for any help advice 

regards pauline x

• Yes of course Pauline i will help you the best i can, sounds as if your work has been very good so far, it is always good to keep them informed with regular updates, mine were also very good, forgot to say good luck for tomorrow.

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Chris 

they called me , and asked if I had made decision

i said because of previous damage and that odds of it curing me or coming back , I will have the operation he said could take 3/4 weeks to arrange as the holidays . Can this be left do you think and not spread waiting for the op , he seems to think it pulls be fine 

pauline x

• Meant he seemed to think it will be fine 

sorry I posted and realised had wrote it wrong 

• Good evening Pauline, Its OK about your spelling i use Grammarly which automatically tells me if i have spelled anything wrong Slight smile. This is about the right length of time as you will have other appointments, scans, blood tests etc in between, meetings with a speech therapist and a dietician. It will not spread further during this time as cancer tumours are slowly growing that's why it suddenly appears in many cases, i never knew i had cancer until i went to a dentist, the rest is history as the saying goes. Take this opportunity to have a good Christmas and try not to overthink what lies ahead too much and remember we are all different in the way and speed at which we recover but i must admit i found my recovery was very good.

Chris x

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Chris 
    I will have to try that to help when I don’t spell correctly.Blush

they have not mentioned any other tests for or scans , but maybe they will after holidays .
    thats all they have said will be 3/4 weeks because of the holidays .
    it is good to know it won’t spread waiting and that they are slow growing,and thank you.

as you said you did not know till you went dentist.
    i will try my best to enjoy Xmas ad not worry to much one day at a time I guess.

habe a lovely Xmas to and thanks for all of youre help I’m sure I will be asking you lots more about this as you are so positive and upbeat
    thanks again
    pauline x
  • You are always welcome Pauline, please do ask if need any advice or just a chat, i hope you have a lovely Christmas, it will be my grandson's first Christmas so it will be a lovely experience. This is why i have never regretted having any of my operations or treatments. Im sure this time next year you in a more relaxed position. 

Chris x

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Chris 

thankyou appreciate all you’re support , I really hope I will be in a more relaxed place next year . That’s lovely youre grandson first Xmas have a lovely time Blush

and same reason here I want to be here to enjoy my grandchildren and my own children well adults now like you will be all worth it in the end Pray

regards pauline