Speech after removal of larynx due to larynx cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 6 subscribers

My father was diagnosed of larynx cancer in 2014 and underwent radiation. He was free of the disease till it recurred in later part of 2018. He underwent operation to remove his larynx in February 2019. Kindly give me suggestions about which method we should try to get back his speech...elecyrolarynx or TEP. His diet has become normal and other medical parameters are OK. He suffers from acidity problems, common cold sneezing, coughing. He is 73 years old. Thank You

• Hello Cgrs, it is always worth a try with the TEP but just to say that they can block up especially if he coughs and colds as the mucus block the opening, they can be cleaned with special brushes that are available on prescription and take a bit of getting used to,  if he cleans it himself he will have to do with the use of a mirror. If you think your dad is up to cleaning and maintaining it then give it a try as they can easily be removed if it does not work out, his speech and language therapist will help him to start off with. The electrolarynx is ok once he gets used to finding the right place to use it under the chin, again his speech and language therapist will give him lessons on how to use it. I think most people would opt for the TEP, to begin with, and go for the electrolarynx if it doe not work out. Wishing you and your dad all the best on the outcome, take care.

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to chris2012

Thank you so much Chris for your valuable suggestions

• FormerMember

Hello Chris2012...

I am Cgrs...kindly help me out with an information if possible...i spoke to you about speech revival of my father...does the TEP valve needs to be changed with a new one...every 3 months or 6 months even if if its suits the patient...???? 

• Hello Cgrs, they should last 3 to 4 months depending on how often they are cleaned and looked after but can be changed before then if its not working properly. Hope all is going ok, take care.

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember

Thank you Chris2012