Larynx Cancer

• 2 replies
  • 3 subscribers

April 23 my husband had radiotherapy for laryngeal cancer. 6 weeks 30 sessions.  His treatment was considered successful. Had all the follow up appointments and been clear.  However around 6 weeks ago started to have pain/ache in throat and neck and was sent for MRI.  Been told by nurse yesterday that lots of scar tissue but also area of concern so being sent for PET scan.  Does this mean it has returned.  Any help appreciated.

• Hi Gillell

Sorry to hear about your Husband and can imagine how you are both feeling regarding the results, unfortunately this does happen after the treatment which is now a year ago, it is not always the case that there is any return but a scan is the best way, I had my full Laryngectomy in 2020 and was on 3 monthly scans when in late 21 they found Oesophagus Cancer so in a different place, I would of thought he would have been on a regular check up but it does seem all hospital/Oncology departments have different reviews, I am now on 4 monthly scan check ups. The pain etc is a fact of life with neck and throat, I also had Thyroid lymph nodes removed so that sometimes makes me have a stiff neck

I hope it isn’t anything serious or returns, if you wish to return I also suggest that you post on the Head and Neck Forum as there are more contributors on there with several of us with a Laryngectomy.
    Take care both of you and keeping my fingers crossed for you

Tony

Community Champion Badge

We will move mountains to help people with cancer live life as fully as they can.
    We'll do whatever it takes. For information, support or just someone to talk to,

call 0808 808 00 00 or visit www.macmillan.org.uk

Onwards and UpwardsWink Laryngectomy and OC survivor 

Lead Volunteer for Hampshire MacMillan Buddy Service

• Thank you so much for replying.  My husband is very practical about these things but I just fall apart.  Will keep you informed.