Immunotherapy

• 3 replies
  • 4 subscribers

Hello,

Someone I love dearly has recently been diagnosed with recurring local stage 4 laryngeal cancer. Previously had 20 sessions of radiotherapy, voice box removed and stoma in place. We were told it was gone however this is now not the case as stated above. We've been told it's aggressive and it's a matter of months now. Chemo is not an option. Immunotherapy is now in place to begin in a couple weeks as the cells reacted positively to this. 

I was looking for information from anyone who's been given this treatment in similar circumstances. Has it worked? What were the side effects? 

We are holding onto this little bit of hope and we just need to know if this may work. 

Thanks in advance. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm not a member of this forum but noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again.

While you're waiting for replies, it would be great if you could put something about your loved ones diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• My husband also had laryngeal cancer treated firstly with laser and told clear.  However months later had to undergo 30 sessions radiotherapy and again told all clear.  2 months ago had experienced breathlessness and fatigue which he had reported on several visits and told side effects of radiotherapy.  Now told it has returned and only option immunotherapy.  Which he has been told not a cure but hopefully will hold it back.  

• So husband had been on cocodamol for pain relief.  The effect was not really lasting and so medication changed.  BuTrans patch together with paracetamol 4 times daily and also codiene 15mg 1/2 tablets when needed.  All seemed ok at first then started feeling nauseous and then on  16th July started vomiting.  I looked at any interaction with medication and saw that codiene should not be taken with BuTrans patch.  Stopped codiene but then on 17th still vomiting and called ambulance because he felt so unwell.  Paramedics agreed codiene should not have been given with BuTrans said he was dehydrated and took him in.  Within 24hrs he feels better but my question is this.  He has been fitted with syringe driver and told this will remain in place.  My husband up until this episode has been ok.  I am concerned that they are intending to leave in place.  He is quite able to swallow medication. Feel this is too soon.