Incurable cancer

• 4 replies
  • 3 subscribers

Hi All

I was diagnosed with stage 4 Laryngeal cancer March this year, after 30 radiotherapy sessions the pet scan revealed the cancer had gone but unfortunately noved to my Lymph nodes and thyroid gland. They operated 3 weeks ago and removed my Lymph nodes and siad the thyroid was fine but the cancer had invaded my windpipe,

The lymph nodes proved to be cancerous and as the cancer has now spread to my windpipe they have run out of options. I was told today that it is now incurable and there was nothing else that can do. Obviously I am in a state of shock. 

Will they now wash their hands off me or will I recieve further support as my health gets  worse?

I have been told that a scan will be done in 4 weeks to measure the cancers progress. I just feel a little abandoned now.

• Hi Terry

I'm not in the same position as you as I have oesophageal cancer that is wrapped around my larynx. But the tumour is invading my windpipe.  I am currently on palliative immunotherapy that is hopefully fighting the tumour as best it can.  I am due to have tests in January to observe if there is disease progression or if the immunotherapy is working.

In your situation I would be going back to my medical team and asking some questions.  They can't leave you high and dry and now you've had time to process what they've assail you've got more questions.  You can't wait another 3 weeks, you'll go insane. I suggest you approach your team with your questions. You need some answers. 

Sorry I can't give you anymore support than this.

Good luck 

Mel

• Thanks Mel

Surely they would offer me immunotherapy if there was a chance it would work? or am I being naive thinking this way. I am seeing the Macmillan team next week so will ask the question.

Many thanks

Terry

• All I know is I've had to push for everything.  My consultant wanted me on chemo but I pushed for immunotherapy as it at least offered some hope. Chemo would have made me feel really ill for what time I have left.  At least I feel human on immunotherapy. 

Ask the question- it can't hurt 

Fingers crossed for you Terry

• Thanks Mel

I will ask the question 

Terry