Laryngectomy and dog fur?

• 1 reply
  • 3 subscribers

Hello there!

My mother has been diagnosed with larynx cancer and it is probable that she will get a laryngectomy soon. 
I still have a lot to learn about this process but one of my biggest fears is animal fur - my parents have a dog who sheds A LOT of fur every day - how dangerous is this for my mother? Does anyone keep pets after laryngectomy?

Thank you

• Hi Zsaklin- Sorry to hear of your Mother’s cancer, as you see I am a Laryngectomee, to answer your question, in the early days she will have to very careful with the hairs, we have 2 Westies but as you possibly know they have to be groomed rather than brushed, I would suggest that the dogs are brushed daily by her Partner and the house kept as free as possible and your Mum takes care.

The problem will ease as she becomes more used to the daily routine of cleaning and caring for the stoma, she will have a baseplate with HME’s that filter her air intake and warm it. The speech therapists will be able to advise her but may suggest other ways to be careful, mainly she is best not remove the HME whilst in the company of the dogs or where they mainly are in the house.

The last thing she will want at this time is possibly the loss of the dogs it would only add to her distress at this time

You will find more support on the Head and Neck Group

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_types/head-neck-cancer-forum/

The other place that will give you and Mother some support/ information is the Laryngectomee Club

https://www.laryngectomy.org.uk/laryngectomee-info/information-leaflets/

I hope this helps and do come back for as much support as you want

Take care all of you

Tony

Community Champion Badge

We will move mountains to help people with cancer live life as fully as they can.
    We'll do whatever it takes. For information, support or just someone to talk to,

call 0808 808 00 00 or visit www.macmillan.org.uk

Onwards and UpwardsWink Laryngectomy and OC survivor 

Lead Volunteer for Hampshire MacMillan Buddy Service