Radio therapy side effects

• 3 replies
  • 4 subscribers

My partner has recently been diagnosed with carcinoma in situ (abnormal cells that look like cancer cells under a microscope are found only where they first formed and have not spread to nearby tissue) in the Larynx.

He went for a biopsy last week and got his results this week, unfortunately, the cells have now spread so he may need to go down the radiotherapy route which we are apprehensive about. Has anyone been through a similar situation and can shed some light?

What are the side effects he is only 38 so it is hard to go down this path at an early age. 

• Hi Raya84, welcome to the site, whilst I bet you would prefer not to be here.

Treatment types, effects and outcomes differ greatly between people so it is hard to pin down each type of problem, I had little choice with my Cancer it was explained to me the risks with RT and chemo that could do to the Larynx and so had the operation for removal of the voicebox, RT was offered after but I declined.

From what I have read from other contributors is that he will suffer sore throats and eating will be limited to soft/puree foods and possible food supplements, the worsted case will be a feeding tube, unfortunately RT is very damaging to surrounding tissue, whilst I didn’t have it for my Laryngectomy I have had both chemo and RT for my Oesophageal cancer which I coped with very well until a week after my last treatment and the tiredness kicked in. They will find tiredness will be the main issue to start with and the other things will depend on a lot of issues such as the aggressiveness of the treatment given.

You may find more support on the Head and Neck forum https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_types/head-neck-cancer-forum/

As more people attend that site, please come back if you need any further support and hopefully as I know several other members have been through your concerns may come back as well

Take care and hope all goes to plan for your Partner

Tony

Community Champion Badge

We will move mountains to help people with cancer live life as fully as they can.
    We'll do whatever it takes. For information, support or just someone to talk to,

call 0808 808 00 00 or visit www.macmillan.org.uk

Onwards and UpwardsWink Laryngectomy and OC survivor 

Lead Volunteer for Hampshire MacMillan Buddy Service

• Hi Kasvin, 

Thank you so much for getting back to me, I am so sorry you had to go through this Disappointed

Why did RT scare you so much that you went through to remove the voice box and does that mean you don't have a voice now? that must be so hard. I have heard the worst case for RT is to come after like 10 years and obviously whilst you are doing it you will go through quite a lot of pain and at the time hard to swallow etc. 

We have an option before the RT to laser off all the skin around the vocal cord and wait and see what happens. 

Take care of yourself too. 

• Hi Sorry haven't come back earlier, been  bit hectic at work, I have a voice we call it a valve, a prothesis that is inserted into the windpipe and the food pipe, the stoma has a baseplate stuck to our throat and we insert HME's that filter and moisten the air we breath in, if we wish to speak we press on the HME and this diverts the air via the valve and our voice travels via the foodpipe and out of our mouth.

The RT I refused as I didn't want damage and the statistics of possible improvement wasn't sufficient, I was in a completely different situation to your Partner, my Consultant really said the Laryngectomy was my best option and she was so right. My OC cancer had no connection to the Larynx. I went through the chemo and RT very well in fact the first 2 chemo rounds made me feel a lot better, the RT day after day becomes very boring for just 5 mins in total on the table !

I'm sure your Partner will be well looked after and don't forget ask any questions you both can, write them down no matter how silly you nmay think they sound, both the Oncologists and Nurses will have or get the answers and when the tratment is going make sure they disclose any discomfort or problems.

Hope all is well, Take Care

Tony

Community Champion Badge

We will move mountains to help people with cancer live life as fully as they can.
    We'll do whatever it takes. For information, support or just someone to talk to,

call 0808 808 00 00 or visit www.macmillan.org.uk

Onwards and UpwardsWink Laryngectomy and OC survivor 

Lead Volunteer for Hampshire MacMillan Buddy Service