Hello, i have just been diagnosed with cancer of my kidney

• 15 replies
  • 65 subscribers

I have been diagnosed with cancer of the kidney today and should be having my kidney removed. Are there any benefits i can claim?

• I am so sorry that yours was so advanced, I am lucky in that respect.  Thank you for the advice.  

• A lot seems to depend on the exact nature of the tumour.

• I was diagnosed in April with Stage 4 grad 4 Incurable kidney cancer with lung mets. I have claimed universal credit, the disabled part of Universal credit, ESA ( Employment Support Allowance 12 months only) and I applied for PIP. To date I have not had a decision of PIP, but I believe the wait is 16 weeks but it’s back dated to when you make the claim. I have paid 33 years of NI contributions and never been out of work from 15 until now. I’m claiming everything and anything I can get. I have had a wheelchair, seats, and trollies delivered to my house, I get free prescriptions and eye tests and I’ve just received my Blue Badge. If you are poorly and cannot work you should try and claim everything you can, you have a genuine reason for it. Good luck for the future and I hope the removal of the kidney and recovery go well. X

• I m so sorry this has happened to you, I have checked this out now and am due to receive my pension in a few months so I am not eligible for most of these especially as I am not terminal, which I hope will stay that way.  Thank you very much for your response though x