Post op problems

• 10 replies
  • 49 subscribers

Hi I had a radical Nephrectomy 9 months ago, however my left side and abdomen is still very swollen and feels heavy and uncomfortable it gets worse at night. Also the area is still completely numb. I still have Cancer in my Para Aortic Lymph Node. Any helpful advice would be great as I am a bit worried and in a lot of discomfort. Thank you

• Good Morning, sorry to hear that you are feeling like this 9 months on, I think we all heal at different stages! Bodies are different, but make sure you contact your oncology team if you're worried, but like you my discomfort and bloat worsens at night! So I understand. I had a radical nephrectomy on 21/6 full explanation my profile. I  am yet to sleep on my left side, still very swollen with flank bulge/sunken dimple effect, no where near as bad as 3 weeks ago but still feels like an odd feeling, especially where sutures are! They're all healing, some have scabbed over and dissolvable stitches are coming out on their own! (I'm a slow healer) I have a blood test and end up like this every time for weeks and weeks!! So I dread to think what mY insides look like after being prodded and cut left , right and centre . Please contact your oncology team especially feeling like this 9 months on .

• Hi Jd19801

thank you for that, I have an appointment at Bristol Oncology tomorrow, a good 4 hour drive ! Lol, so I will mention this it took me awhile to sleep on my side as well as I am not a back sleeper, as for the bruise ouch! I also looked like a bus had run over my arm, I have bad veins and I don’t think they  enjoyed taking blood from me, I am an ex nurse so I can understand  how they feel. Hope you recover quickly and stay well .

• That's great that you're seeing them tomorrow. Tell them everything you are feeling and thinking! Sometimes you do feel like you are alone and no one really understands!! I hope you feel better soon. 

• Hello! I had partial neprecthomy 2 month ago and i have and enlarged 10mm Para Aortic Lymph. Did you have lymph node biospy? Or how do you know its cancer? Thank you! 

• Hi I they discovered it whilst operating with my kidney removal, however it was too difficult to remove as it was close to blood vessels etc, so now I have been referred to Bristol for a second opinion. Hope you are ok. 

• Thank you. I certainly will. There’s a lot that needs to be taken into consideration and obviously the outcome. 

• How did you get on at your appointment!? 

• Hello, the surgeon is going to remove this Lymph Node, it is in a awkward spot but he assured me it would be ok, i was told it isn’t a cure  but will put me in remission, I was told it is highly likely it will come back at some point, but it would be easier to treat in the future. But it will give me more time so I am grateful for that.its at Bristol which is a 4 hour drive away but its a really big and well run hospital. Thank you for asking. 

• I am sorry to say the numbness is where the surgeon cut thru nerves to get access. It's permanent. 

• I was referred by the Oncologist from my own hospital to Bristol for a second opinion, it was originally thought it couldn’t be done and the only option was Non Curative Treatment.