Time from diagnosis to nephrectomy

• 16 replies
  • 55 subscribers

I was diagnosed with T1 kidney cancer in January. No date yet for nephrectomy. How long did other people have to wait for operation.

• Hi I have been on a rollercoaster ride. I had a CT colonoscopy in February which showed masses on both kidneys. Since then I have had CT with dye and also  nuclear bone scan. After one cancellation and seeing the wrong urologist privately we finally saw Mr W in clinic. I have been booked for surgery a partial nephrectomy in about six weeks time.

• Hopefully it will be smooth sailing from now on. It is a heck of a shock when you get the diagnosis and all the waiting is a real strain. Best wishes for the op. 

• This seems a long wait but I think it depends which part of the country you are in. Have you followed up at all? Maybe your GP can help if you aren't sure who to contact.Best of luck.

• Thank you. I just want a date now

• I'm in the West Midlands and was diagnosed with an 11cm x 9cm tumour with Mets on my lungs, on 8th March. I met with the Urology consultant on the 18th March and surgeon on 19th April. I was told the op would be in 2 or so months time. Waiting lists are long apparently. I was also told my cancer was non-curable as it has metastasized which means I may be moved down the list if someone else come on the list who is curable.

It's encouraging that others had their op sooner.

• That’s tough, Sy7. When you know you have cancer waiting for an op or treatment is horrible. I have recently had radiotherapy for a metastatic cancer in a lymph node and all the time I was waiting I was worried so I have much sympathy for your situation. Best wishes.