Surgery day

• 20 replies
  • 42 subscribers

Hello

Ive at last got my date for surgery....4th april now its here seem to be very anxious.. removing my whole kidney right one by keyhole all being well.. they have told me that after surgery they will move me to high dependency unit just wondered if any one else did this after surgery.. know it needs to come out but still frightened

• Thankyou for your kind reply trying to remain positive and looking forward to when my passenger has gone xx

• Thankyou.. could you tell me how much you were able to do when you first came home x

• They got me up and walking while I was still is the high dependency ward and I walked out of the hospital to be picked up. At first I was very tired but set myself to walking just a few steps more each day, while not over doing it. I remember the surgical stockings coming off 14 days after surgery. I was lucky in that my husband was looking after me in the early days so I wasn’t cooking or doing anything much apart from trying to recover. I was 66 at the time. 

• Thankyou i thought they might want me to get up fairly quickly

My situation is different becsuse im on my own so ill have to ask them xx

• Good idea to ask. There is an “Ask the Expert” facility here, too. I hope you have someone to drive you home after the op.

Wishing you all the best for your operation and speedy recovery. 

• My hospital doctors nurses were quite concerned that I lived alone and kept asking me if I had anyone who could assist/stay certainly for the first 24 hours. I said I have good friends locally and that two neighbours have spare keys to get in so all I would have to do is call if I needed any desperate help. Nurses made sure I was ok at walking up and down the corridors and climb stairs and could shower without help, and they were happy to let me stay there until I felt I was ready to go home. I came home after 5 nights. I did have open surgery not keyhole though and it included hernia and adhesiolysis repairs in addition to kidney removal. I was not on a high dependency ward but did have hourly obs for the first night so didn't get any sleep.

At home I had easy cook ready meals/soups/instant noodles that I bought before I had my op so getting my meals was slow but not difficult, and friends kindly brought me takeaways. I spent an equal time just slowly walking around and sitting down the first few days, deep breathing exercises for the lungs etc. Getting in and out of bed and sleeping on my back for the first week was the most uncomfortable part if it all.

Nearly 4 weeks after my op now and I am doing just about everything normally but still not lifting anything heavy. Still aches and twinges and some swelling in the "shark bite". Still 3 more weeks off work and as it is a physical job they will have to give me light duties unless I get my GP sign me off for more weeks. I am due biopsy/histology results next week.

I hope your op goes to plan and recovery goes well It is a scary thing to deal with for sure, but there are plenty of people here who have gone through it to give you reassurance. All the best to you and keep us updated.

• Good luck with the results 

• Just checking in to see if your op went to plan and how you are coping with the recovery so far.

• Sorry late replying went sort of to plan in as much as they  did  it keyhole but ended  up being in 10 days.. no probs with the  surgery

• Glad to hear from you. Take care and best wishes with your recovery.