How much time off work will be needed

• 3 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Hi, 

I am almost 3 weeks on from incidental diagnosis of RCC.

Feeling a little impatient now (though I realise this is a process)

I've had U/S and CT - which gave initial diagnosis. 2ww referral appointment was this week but just got told that I will be discussed at MDT 

Have now had CT chest

It appears that the choice of treatment will be partial or radical nephrectomy

How different are these as far as recovery is concerned?

How much time is needed off work?

I've just got a new job (haven't signed the contract yet) and am keen to start. 

Thanks in advance

Smiles 

• Hi Smiles,

regarding time off work i can only say from my experience having had a radical nephrectomy 5 weeks ago. That i am nowhere near ready to return to work. Having said that i have a maintenance job that is more like construction. (it's a way of paying you less by calling it 'maintenance'),

I am currently trying to do a little more each day but i gotta tell you it is knackering. I think whatever your new job is you will be tired post op. However if it's a job you can do seated then you should have a quicker return to work than i'm going to be able to manage.

The exact amount of time off required for recovery will be dependent on the individual and certain factors like general health and fitness pre op. So all anyone can do is guess for you really.

If all goes well and you don't rush things too much then perhaps a quick time recovery may be acheived. But your body will need time to heal and rushing that is something i'd advise against pushing for.

cheers for now....Del.

• Thank you for your reply Del

I think I am still trying to avoid facing up to this, with a 'just carry on and pretend it hasn't happened' attitude

Reality comes in waves

I'm going to have to get used to it and take it slowly.

You are very wise - this is the time to allow healing and not push forward too quickly.

Hope your recovery continues

Take care 

Off to walk a dog now

• Relaxed️

• That's the spirit Smiles. I have always healed well from various injuries i've had through life. This nephrectomy, for me, has been very different. I feel fine and do stuff then end up exhausted later. It really is a different recovery than anything i've had before.

Best advice I was given was 'listen to your body' and that is what i've tried to do. And it has told me mainly 'hey...that's too much...rest now'....lol.

I've been extra cautious as i was told the chance of hernia if i rush recovery was very high. I've never had a hernia and don't want one either.

I have however, this week, mowed the lawn twice. had a couple of longer (2 miles) walks, and yesterday i sorted the indicators out on my motorbike. I did however have to call my wife to help push it back on to the centrestand once i'd finished...lol. I also ached a lot this morning around my midriff and back. though that soon dissolved once i got moving again (shower etc).

I do hope you keep posting as it would be interesting to see you through this. And others with similar ops coming up may benefit too.

Del.