Deciding versus 'Surveillance' treatment and Immunotherapy

• 3 replies
  • 42 subscribers

I'm wondering if there is anyone on here who has decided to decline immunotherapy and opt to be regularly monitored instead.

I am still recovering from an adrenalectomy a few years ago, and it is one factor which makes me want hesitant to begin immunotherapy.

• Hello Khunter

Yes, I decided to stop immunotherapy after a couple of serious side effects, one of which stopped my adrenal glands from working, so I'm permanently reliant on steroids to keep me alive. My cancer is advanced and incurable, so the immunotherapy was palliative. I am being monitored by scans every 3 months.....after a year of immunotherapy, which worked, my cancer is stable, and has been since I had my last treatment session in July last year. I am waiting for my latest scan result, and hope it is good news. I think my oncologist is planning to offer me different drugs if the scan shows progression, but I'm not at all sure if I want to try anything else.

I did not reach my decision lightly, and it is not a decision that many people make. I am 64, without children, so I do not have any worries about leaving dependents. I am fortunate that my cancer hasn't had any symptoms (so far) so I am able to live my normal life, with a small decrease in my overall stamina. 

I would suggest talking things over with friends, family, maybe a counsellor before you decide. It is a major one! 

My motto is that I want quality of life, not quantity at all costs. Although most of my friends and family don't agree with my standpoint, they do respect it, and support me going forward. 

I hope you are able to find peace of mind, and some certainty, whatever you decide to do!

Best wishes

Candysmum

• I'm stopping my immunotherapy next month.  My mantra is "got to stop before I get a significant immune related event".  I've had the benefit after 2.5 years.   I'm content with pocketing the benefit - reaching a balance between the benefit and what may happen going forwards.   

I do think immunotherapy is an excellent option.  However, it is a significant drug and there are occassions where you can't just rollback, or stop taking it to return to your previous position.  There are people sharing examples across the forum.   I have a kidney function of a 90 year old for example, which is a pretty good hit  for the benefits I've experienced.   But that is very easy to say in hindsight. 

Please ask lots and lots of questions to ensure you are comfortable with your decision.  

• Hope you are doing well  Mmum