Possible lymphoma. Without medical insurance, experiencing serious symptoms, unsure how to get help.

• 4 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hello. My name is Justin, I am 32 years old.

About a year ago, I had some pretty alarming symptoms.

1. Night sweats, not drenching the sheets, but enough to make me take the blanket off.
  2. Persistent fatigue. I felt I needed to nap, and naps felt like they weren't effective enough to relieve the tiredness.
  3. Headaches that would take longer to respond to ibuprofen, but these were headaches where I could hear blood rushing in my head.
  4. Unintentional and rapid weight loss - I went from 205 pounds to 185 lbs in a matter of 3 months without trying.
  5. Overheating at work - I felt like I had a fever and was sweating. Even though my boss took my temperature, I had no fever.
  6. Itchy skin particularly on my arms and neck
  7. My salivary glands started to swell.

The only upside that occurred while having these symptoms was that I had a normal appetite.

The problem is I didn't go to the doctors that often because I have no medical insurance. I went to my local clinic/doctor's office which is on a sliding scale basis and the best they could do for me was bloodwork and X-Rays. The bloodwork came back normal, and so did my X-Ray of my chest. 

I was concerned about my salivary glands being swollen, as they persisted to be swollen from August all the way to February. So in February of this year, I was referred to an ENT doctor. They did an ultrasound of the salivary glands and one was bigger than average and the other was smaller than average, but neither could be diagnosed as cancer. So I signed a release paper to have CT scan done on my neck, That's when the doctor mentioned I had a swollen lymph node in the back of my neck at the base of the skull. I neglected to get the blood work done for it until about another 2 months because of the cost (Until I was re-employed), so the CT scan never happened.

I was given a course of antibiotics for 10 days and it didn't help the swelling of my salivary glands. They're still in existence.

But it wasn't until recently that I discovered I'm having more serious symptoms. I'm concerned that swollen lymph node at the base of the neck has spread to the brain because of the following symptoms:

1. I’m having trouble remembering things: such as when I took my medications or pills, I can’t remember what I dreamed about in the night, I can’t remember if I closed the garage door when leaving the house.
  2. Coordination issues (Most concerning). I run into objects all the time at home (Walls, corners, lamp posts) and at work (racks, walls, corners). I feel like I can’t walk perfectly straight. I lose my balance partially when I get up from bending over or kneeling at work. I had to briefly hold onto a shopping cart yesterday because I felt like I couldn’t walk on my feet.
  3. TV Static vision/granular vision. This occurred for about a week, then I went to an optometrist. He dialated my eyes and examined them, said my cornea and sclera both look healthy, but it could be caused by something in my system and may need to get my GP involved. He gave me prescription eye drops, and the static vision went away.
  4. Dropping items all the time at work. I can’t seem to hold a hanger properly and I drop them all the time. Same goes with paperwork and clothing.
  5. Having trouble speaking. I can type just fine, but when it comes to conversations I studder, and must correct what I’m trying to say to people because what I intend to say never comes out right.
  6. Headaches and migraines that won’t respond to ibuprofen. I’ve tried Excedrin, Tylenol, Aleve, Advil. None of them work anymore. These headaches are also agitated when bending over. Not so much when taking a sneeze or a bowel movement, yet.
  7. Swallowing the wrong way all the time. Food goes down the wrong pipe a lot, I end up building excess saliva and swallowing the wrong way a lot even when I'm not eating. Accompanied by a nagging cough.
  8. Weakness in my legs, I feel it the most when I work and when I lay down. I can’t stand on my feet for an extended period or else my legs feel like they’re going to snap. I get sore. Sometimes I get pins and needles in my leg, where it sometimes feels like water running down the side of my leg. I can’t sit with my legs crossed because of the pain.
  9. Weakness in my arms and hips. I can’t sit, bend, or hold my arms up in certain positions at work for an extended period, or else they will give out and become sore.
  10. Respiratory problems. Having trouble catching my breath, particularly in the morning. Having coffee makes it worse. It gets better throughout the day. I don’t understand this, because I had a chest X-Ray in September of last year and it was fine.
  11. Heart palpitations – I can hear my heart beating at least half the day.

I had an MRI and an MRA done of my head back in January of 2021 when I had tension headaches, as diagnosed by my neurologist at the time, and no sign of a brain tumor or lymphoma at the time.

I had some brief pain in my right armpit as recent as last week and noticed an enlarged lymph node. But if I press on it, it doesn’t hurt, doesn’t move around that freely either.

I have 2 enlarged lymph nodes on my body in total that I know of. My right armpit, the back of my neck. Plus swollen salivary glands. I know I should be seeking help. I have an appointment with my GP at the clinic in 2 weeks, that’s as soon as they can get me in. I hope my body can wait that long. I know I probably should be going to the Emergency Room, but I just can’t because of the costs. I’ve been to the ER for extreme headaches last year and all it was, was dehydration, and that alone cost $400. If it is lymphoma and they find something in my brain, I am terrified of what I will do with no medical insurance because if they need to operate on my brain, the bill will jump to $75,000-$100,000+, which nobody in my family has, especially me. I just came off being unemployed for 5 months and that would land me in debt for the rest of my life, which I don’t want to happen. It will also cause a big argument with my parents as well because they mentioned I had every test done (MRI, MRA, CT scan, bloodwork) and it all came back negative. They feel there’s nothing wrong with me and I will be wasting money going to the ER especially with no insurance.

I am part of the Cleveland Clinic Financial Assistance Program at the hospital, but they’re very limited to what they can cover. I know for a fact they won’t cover any surgeries to that extent or chemo if it's lymphoma. It’s primarily for emergency surgeries and doctor’s visits. I don’t qualify for Medicaid, since I am over 18 and live with my parents. It’s very difficult to apply for disability insurance, I’m in the process of doing so, but may be denied. I was denied disability in high school. I just want to get better, but I don’t know what to do because of the costs and expenses without insurance. What should I do?

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the Macmillan Online Community....... but sorry to hear about the challenges you are having.

Macmillan Cancer Support is a United Kingdom (UK) based cancer support Charity....... so a very high percentage of all people posting in our various groups are from the UK....... although we do have people post from around the world including the USA.

In the UK....... Private Health Insurance is not required (although some people do have this through their place of employment) as we pay for all our health care through our general taxation system....... and even if a person does not work health care is still available through or fre. National Health Service that covers all the UK.

So I have no experience to bring to the table as to how you can navigate your way forward and how your system works when you have not the finances to pay for treatment.

I will tag in  as he does stay in the USA so my be in a position to give you some pointers.

We also have our Ask an Expert section where some of the team 'may' be able to signpost you to some information that can help - but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you Mike for the tag-in. Very sorry to hear of this. While the symptoms are certainly alarming, no diagnosis of a malignancy has been made. There are over 68,000 known human illnesses and conditions, the vast majority not being cancerous. Many of those conditions mimic various forms of cancer. However, none of the tests you have had are diagnostic for any cancer. They are tools which may reveal the need for further diagnostic procedures. Only a pathological examination of a biopsy (tissue) sample can obtain a diagnosis.

I highly recommend that you contact one of the two National Cancer Institute comprehensive cancer centers in Ohio. From the NCI website (hoping the links are permitted):

Case Comprehensive Cancer Center
    Case Western Reserve University
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Comprehensive Cancer Center

The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center
    James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute
    Columbus, Ohio

The cancer centers have financial assistance programs available as well as the State of Ohio. Drug companies have "Compassionate Use" programs in which the drugs are offered without cost or at greatly reduced cost. You may have to solicit the help of family members, friends or even co-worker to help you in this, as you have much on your mind.

As well, the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and the Lymphoma Research Foundation also have financial assistance available for Lymphoma patients. As well, should you be diagnosed with a cancer, they have very helpful amounts of information on the disease, treatment etc.

https://lymphoma.org/resources/

www.lls.org/.../financial-support

Now, as to insurance, I do not believe that you can de denied pre-diagnosis. My son pays zero premiums for his insurance and upgrades are available. Once a diagnosis is made, you can apply for Social Security Disability, Supplemental Security Income, and you may also qualify for the federal government's Medicaid program. As to Social Security, when you note "cancer" as the reason for application, they automatically expedite your application.

https://www.ssa.gov/disability

https://www.ssa.gov/apply/ssi
    There are many resources, but again, help will be best in applying for all of these benefits. 
    Mostly, let us hope and pray that it is not a malignancy, but another less serious condition.
    One cancer (PTCL-NOS) 3 times. Two other cancers: Angioimmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma 2 times, and 20q deletion MyeloDysplastic Syndrome) were chemo refractory. All three cancers simultaneously in 2015. Stage IV twice + MDS @ 23% of marrow. 12/22 diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Thus far, 14+ years, 20 drugs, 4 clinical trials, Total Body Irradiation, 1,000+ years of background radiation from scans. 7th remission so far. Haploidentical stem cell transplant, acute > chronic Graft-versus-Host-disease. Currently receiving my 7th GvHD regimen.

• I appreciate the links, however I live in Florida.  I understand I mentioned "Cleveland" Clinic, but it's actually a branch of hospitals that originated in Ohio that bought out Indian River Medical Center here in Florida years ago. What are the best places in Florida I could contact or look into that's helpful financially? 

• Oh! Sorry about that. Here are the NCI Comprehensive Cancer Centers in Florida. Moffitt (Tampa), in particular, is excellent.

Mayo Clinic Cancer Center
    Jacksonville, Florida
    (in addition to facilities in Arizona and Minnesota)

Moffitt Cancer Center
    Tampa, Florida

Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center
    University of Miami Miller School of Medicine
    Miami, Florida
    Cancer Center

University of Florida Health Cancer Center
    University of Florida
    Gainesville, Florida
    Cancer Center

As to financial help, the federal government has the most available. My advice is to apply for everything offered. As to Florida, here you go:

https://www.floridahealth.gov/index.html

And cancer specific:

www.floridahealth.gov/.../20231130-florida-cancer-connect.article.html

One cancer (PTCL-NOS) 3 times. Two other cancers: Angioimmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma 2 times, and 20q deletion MyeloDysplastic Syndrome) were chemo refractory. All three cancers simultaneously in 2015. Stage IV twice + MDS @ 23% of marrow. 12/22 diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Thus far, 14+ years, 20 drugs, 4 clinical trials, Total Body Irradiation, 1,000+ years of background radiation from scans. 7th remission so far. Haploidentical stem cell transplant, acute > chronic Graft-versus-Host-disease. Currently receiving my 7th GvHD regimen.