Itching in remission

• 5 replies
  • 22 subscribers

Hi there. I posted here a year ago when my  23 year old son  was diagnosed 2A Hodgkin’s . After 4 rounds of ABVD and complete metabolic response ( no radiotherapy required he went into remission in February and been living a fulfilled life. At the time he had a swelling on his neck with no other symptoms. We’ve all been able to get on with our lives but in last two weeks he has been itching which has spiked anxiety for us all. We’ve been to the dr who initially said it looked like an allergic reaction and a photo sent to  Haemotology team who initially said did not look like a typicaL lumphoma rash. He was prescribed antihistamines from Go but two weeks have passed and he’s still itching. He went back today and was told it could be dermatitis but now gp liaising with Haemotology team to request a biopsy due to his history of lymphoma. What’s the likelihood he’s relsosed???.. I’m going out of my mind . He has blood tests next week 

• I did forget to add that he does have a rash mainly on hys chest back and groin area 

• Hi again  sorry to read about the challenges your son (and you) is having.

It’s actually not that I usually for people to go through Lymphoma treatments and some time down the road develop skin conditions like dermatitis, psoriasis, eczema.,,,, 

The treatments used for lymphomas are very strong and can at times have a lasting effect on the resulting in the largest organ in the body - the skin, being affected.

This will will take time to look at and get a clear diagnosis.

In these early months post treatment there is always a chance of a relapse but let’s hope that this is a skin problem.

I on the other hand have a rare skin Non Hodgkins Lymphoma so relapse was just part of my life over my 24 years journey.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mike. Thank you for your prompt response and reassuring words. I’ve been up all night and researching and worst scenario T cell lymphoma comes up due to the rash.. praying as you says it’s the after effects of the ABVD treatment. And just dermatitis ..let’s  see. Thank you so much again 

• Yes I have lived with and been treated for my type of T-Cell NHL for over 24 years but it is 7 in a million rare and I have yet to talk with anyone who has developed it as a second Lymphoma……. so don’t over think this…… work with the facts and don’t let google feed your anxiety ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you Mike. I wish you well