Transformation of hodgkins

• 5 replies
  • 7 subscribers

I had Hodgkin's  before in 2010.   Successful  treatment though various complication went into remission  . . I had a standard mammogram 2 years ago and the poor nurse couldn't  understand why I bust into tears when she told me my lymph  nodes were huge .   After scan confirmed it was back but only in armpits.  Had usual check ups, bloods, examined  and told was on a wait and watch .   Went on holiday to tenerife  caught a virus and after I was home was having pain  breathing so saw doctor who thought it was maybe a blood clot.  . Barrage of tests then x Ray and scan showed wasn't a clot but problem round my liver ..told  results had been forwarded to my consultant . He phoned today and I was told my slow growing has now transformed  into aggressive  high grade .   Stage 4 . Now, I'm waiting on another scan and biopsy .

Has anyone else had this and what are my prospects of surviving things this time !

H

• Hi again  and sorry to read about your transformed Lymphoma.

When you say aggressive High Grade…… are you referring to High Grade Non Hodgkins Lymphoma (NHL) ?

Back in late 2013 after living with and being treated for my rare low grade Non Hodgkins Lymphoma……. a new type of high grade NHL stage 4 turned up…..that was over 11 years ago…… and I am still here, turned 68 last Nov and living a great life…… although zi still have my low grade NHL.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Highlander. . Glad your still here lol I had Nodular lymphocyte-predominant Hodgkin lymphoma in 2010. My consultant  just  said my slow growing Hodgkin's  had transformed   into high grade aggressive.    Gues will need to wait till biopsy to get determination of exactly what lymphoma  it is .  

I don't do waiting well Confused 

• I said High Grade NHL as I have talked with a number of folks who have had their HL transform into NHL….yes time will tell….. as you know there is a lot of waiting when it comes to Heamatology.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Sorry to hear this, Helen. The World Health Organization has set in motion a preliminary re-classification of Nodular Lymphocyte Predominant Hodgkin's Lymphoma (NLPHL) into a new sub-type of Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (NHL). This is because NLPHL never shared the common features of classical Hodgkin's. It was discovered in pretty much the stone age of lymphoma knowledge, and since Hodgkin's came before it, it was classed as a type of Hodgkin's. 

At last read, the new classification will be Nodular Lymphocyte Predominant B-Cell Lymphoma. As any indolent (slow growing) B-Cell Lymphoma, there is always risk of it transforming into an aggressive type, such as Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

The blessing in the curse is that aggressive B-Cell lymphomas are more potentially curable. Because of the replication rate of the cells, they are more vulnerable to therapy. The weakness occurs when the cells are dividing (mitosis). That process leaves an open door for chemotherapy. or biological drugs to enter the cell and trigger cell death. 

As I always recommend, read up on it as knowledge truly is power. As well, chin up, as there are far worse conditions to have, life is worth living and thus, worth fighting for.

One cancer (PTCL-NOS) 3 times. Two other cancers: Angioimmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma 2 times, and 20q deletion MyeloDysplastic Syndrome) were chemo refractory. All three cancers simultaneously in 2015. Stage IV twice + MDS @ 23% of marrow. 12/22 diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Thus far, 14+ years, 20 drugs, 4 clinical trials, Total Body Irradiation, 1,000+ years of background radiation from scans. 7th remission so far. Haploidentical stem cell transplant, acute > chronic Graft-versus-Host-disease. Currently receiving my 7th GvHD regimen.

• Hi  …… this is interesting information.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge