My husband had a full rhinectomy and removal of top jaw would like to hear from anyone who’s had similar experiences xxx

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 34 replies
  • 70 subscribers

After surgery for his Rhinectomy and removal of top jaw in September 2017 my husband went on to have 6 weeks of Radiotheraphy he wears an obturator to fill gap where his top palate was at the moment 6 weeks after radiotherapy going ok mucus is lessioning but on very strong painkillers due to the pain in his throat I know it’s early days but would love to hear from anyone who’s had a similar experience Thankyou so much xxx 

• Hello Pammi4, my second cancer operation was not as severe as your husbands as mine was removal of most of my lower jaw which was reconstructed using a bone and tissue etc from my lower leg plus skin grafts from my stomach . I had radio and chemo after my first operation which was floor of the mouth so you husband has the surgery and radiotherapy to deal with. I know what you mean ref the mucus so it pleasing to hear that it is improving just a shame about the pain , don't forget you can ask for stronger pain killers if the pain is to much too bear as I know I had pain but it did not last very long from what I can remember . It sounds as if he is making steady progress which is all we can expect at this stage , it is a long journey and he will have good and bad days as I expect you have found out along the way , lets hope you can get something stronger for the pain as that should make him feel a lot better . All the very best for the recovery and future ,take care .

Chris . x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to chris2012

Thankyou chris2012 for replying yes I think you are right good days and bad days he is always so positive only had a couple of really bad days towards the end of Radiotheraphy it is hard watching him suffer but I keep hopeful that once everything has healed they can reconstruct too I will definitely ask at next appointment for stronger painkillers for him too xxx 

• hi pammi4, sorry to read about your husband and wishing him a speedy recovery, i had a total rhinectomy  for scc of the nasal cavity in 2016 followed by 7 weeks radiation, i have only just had my implants fitted for a prosthetic nose 1 1/2 years later, its been a very long and slow recovery but ime finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, if you have any questions that i might be able to help with please feel free to ask - best wishes to you both

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Mrs nose

Hi Mrs Nose 

So good to hear of your recovery well done fighting on through . It was a big shock when it all happened like a lot of people in this community but he has always be so positive through it all each day is different good days and bad days but it’s lovely to hear from other people in the same situation and know they are healing well it does give us hope xxxx 

• You say he’s having a lot of pain in his throat, did he have radiotherapy on his throat? I did get very excessive mucus in the Nasal Cavity during radiotherapy which went after I finished radiotherapy.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to TDN68

Yes because he had a Maxillectomy 

as well the radiotherapy did target his throat as well it seems to be the fatigue which is the worst now 9 weeks after Radiotheraphy xxx 

• I also had a partial maxillectomy, although can’t say I had a sore throat but then again I was on pain patches from just after my operation to about two months after I finished radiotherapy on account that the wound from my lateral neck dissection gave so much grief I found the action of swallowing food painful on the outside.  Also there was damaged to one vocal chord that didn’t start working again until after radio.  It could be a matter of time being Healer, the radiotherapy keeps on working on the body for a good few weeks after it finishes.  Fatigue they say can last for months also.  Body wanting to sleep so it can repair the damage to the good cells that happened during radio.  It might be a load of nonsense but it made sense to me.  Hopefully he will start picking up soon.  Do you mind me asking how old he is?

• FormerMember

Hi again Thankyou so much for answering I was just saying to my husbands clinical nurse today that I have joined this community she was very pleased sometimes it’s just nice to hear how other people coped my husband Kola is his name is 54 he has now got pain patches and they seem to be helping more has good days and bad days he also suffers from an auto immune disease so we have been assured the fatigue is Kola and his healing process . This is a wonderful community to get ideas and help from and I relay everything to him it does help feeling not so alone xxx 

• Hi again, yes it Is nice and helpful to speak to others who’ve had the same thing done.  There are that many of us who’ve had a full rhinectomy done.  No doubt the auto immune disease is probably not helping the healing process.  Lots of rest .x

• FormerMember

Yes Kola had a good day today am so proud of what he puts up with he will go for a day surgery op next Tuesday to remove the wires that hold his obturator in place he is happy about this as these wires are pulling now . It’s quite complicated because of the full maxilloctomy and Rhinectomy but we are Thankful today that they said complicated not impossible to sort out xxxx