My husband had a full rhinectomy and removal of top jaw would like to hear from anyone who’s had similar experiences xxx

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 34 replies
  • 69 subscribers

After surgery for his Rhinectomy and removal of top jaw in September 2017 my husband went on to have 6 weeks of Radiotheraphy he wears an obturator to fill gap where his top palate was at the moment 6 weeks after radiotherapy going ok mucus is lessioning but on very strong painkillers due to the pain in his throat I know it’s early days but would love to hear from anyone who’s had a similar experience Thankyou so much xxx 

• All the best to Kola for next Tuesday Let’s me know how he gets on.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to TDN68

Thankyou for your wishes TDN68 will definitely let you know how everything progresses for him doing really well at the moment mucus is getting much much better now and he’s been quite active too so hopefully we turning a corner long way to go but little steps help .Has really helped talking to you too xxx 

• Your welcome, anytime...

• FormerMember

Hi TDN68 

Well Kola had his op yesterday to remove the wires from his obturator and they also gave cavity a good clean out and made an impression so they can try and find some way to stabilise the obturator . He will be up and down to Dental hospital for a good while I’m sure 

but all in all it went well he has obturator in at moment but he says it’s moving a bit just glad the wires are out as that was causing him a lot of pain hopefully that lessons now fingers crossed xx 

• Glad all went well for him yesterday.  The restorative dentist do a good job and find a soloution. What has he got covering where his nose was?

• FormerMember

Hi at the moment he just wears a bandage they are waiting for it all to heal properly after his Radiotheraphy as his side effects were pretty bad but it all seems to be healing nicely now . Dentist again next week then just wait for surgeon to see him and mri to see how affective Radiotheraphy was so it’s all a bit of a waiting game really at the moment but he just takes it all in his stride always has been a very relaxed person it’s me who’s impatient lol they probably get fed up with me always asking questions . 

• FormerMember

Hi TDN68 

Everything going ok for hubby he has had his first MRI since Radiotheraphy so we are just waiting for results well we got preliminary results yesterday which show it is clear but they just want to compare with old scans  . Just wanted to ask you a question if I may how long did it take before pain went from Rhinectomy site it’s just edges really but he’s still taking oramorph for it xxxx He finished Radiotheraphy 15th December Thankyou xx 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Plus they’ve finished obturator and bottom teeth it’s brilliant he picks it up tomorrow xxx 

• Hi there, I can really say I had much pain at the rhinectomy site only very sore skin above the lip from radio.  I was on pain patches before and up until 2  to 3 mths after I finished radio, but that was for the pain from my lateral neck dissection which I had the same time as rhinectomy so if I did have pain at rhinectomy site the pain patch would Have hidden the pain if you know what I mean.  

Good news on the obtarator and teeth.  

I had had a check up this morning and all ok back in 6 mths which would be 5 years post operation.  

• FormerMember

Hi again Thankyou for answering yes I’m hoping too the pain is from Radiotheraphy and where the wires were holding surgical obturator in all docs have had a good look and are quite happy maybe nerve pain they are saying . Fantastic news about your results from your check up it makes us very hopeful hearing from someone who’s has similar op and doing well nearly 5 years later xx