Aspiration?

• 4 replies
  • 68 subscribers

Hi all,

I am nearly 12 months out from chemoradiation.

I have been using Level 1 drink thickening for several months because I was coughing after drinking liquids.

Something seemed to change a week or so ago and I started coughing more in the morning (I thought just the usual dry mouth and sticky saliva).

Now, I am coughing for most of the day. My chest feels a bit tight and I have an intermittent wheeze.

I contacted my team and they are going to get me in for a check by my speech and language therapist (making me think they suspect aspiration). I am also due a 3 monthly ENT check and they are hoping to combine these appointments.

I am doing nebuliser and gargling salt water.

I have been reading (proper peer reviewed literature) about mid to late term onset worsening of dysphagia following H&N treatment. It seems that as fibrosis and scarring change, your swallow can deteriorate.

In the meantime, I have gone for Level 3 liquid thickening, just to see if this relieves the symptoms.

I did cough up some tiny spots of blood this morning (which scared me... worrying about mets etc... scan was totally clear in Feb) but I suspect this was from excessive coughing or aspiration damage to the lungs.

I have no other aspiration pneumonia symptoms. No raised temperature or chills.

Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!

Steve

• Hi  

I hope they get you sorted soon and someone comes on with personal experience here. 
    In the meantime I’ve done a search for you. A good few posts allude to FNAs but you can pick through 

community.macmillan.org.uk/search

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Stevey N Good luck with salt team hope they can sort something out for you. Keep in touch 

hugs 

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Thanks, Dani and Hazel,

I had a phone call with my SALT. She is going to scope me on 9th May to observe my swallowing. I also have an appointment for fluoroscopy, but this is considered non-urgent and it may take a while.

I still have the symptoms, but I am coping with it, for now.

Best

Steve 

Diagnosed Feb 2023 with base of tongue cancer, oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma (OPSCC), HPV positive, staging: T4aN2CM0

• Hi Glad phone call as at least got you somewhere. Hopefully salt team can brkng the fluoroscopy forward if needed. 
    hugs Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help