Back to square one

• 6 replies
  • 36 subscribers

So I posted in the first week of September that my husband had got the all clear but there was only a 2 week respite. 
He found a small lump on the same side as the original lump and tonsil so I called the nurse and got in to see the consultant who couldn’t feel anything of concern.

By that time the lump seemed to have gone but he had an ultrasound and biopsy anyway as the radiologist said that one lymph was slightly enlarged but he wasn’t concerned. 
However, they found cancer cells in the biopsy and we got a call from the nurse last Tuesday to tell us and we were plunged back. She told us that he would now need a neck dissection. 

We had an appointment with the consultant last Thursday and they had contacted the oncologist before we arrived and tried to explain that the oncologist felt that it is possible it is due to it being quite close to treatment finishing (31st May) and that the cells could be inactive/residual cells, can’t remember exactly what they said but they tried to explain it a bit like a false positive. It reminded me of Rhod Gilbert’s first scan. Is it the same? Is it possible that the biopsy is such as it is too early? Has anyone experienced this? Offer any positive stories or knowledge? Disappointed

• Has anyone experienced this?

Not quite but I did have a hot spot on PET at 16 weeks. 
    A biopsy six weeks later was clear. 
    Are you saying the oncologist is overruling the pathologist? 
    I would get some clarity on it so go back to get an explanation you can understand. 
    Are they going to hold back on the dissection for a while? 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • No not overruling I don’t think. Oncologist said it could be. Said could wait and see and that was a choice we had but feels a gamble 

Supporting husband with HPV + tonsil cancer and lymph spread 

• Said could wait and see and that was a choice we had but feels a gamble 

So is the choice repeating the biopsy in a few weeks? Or going straight to dissection. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • The choice was wait and biopsy or dissection 

Chose dissection 

What are you thinking? Would you have waited? We were prepared for PET scan to possibly be showing hot spots as hear about that quite a bit but this threw us 

Supporting husband with HPV + tonsil cancer and lymph spread 

• I think I would want to know how extensive the dissection might be. I’d probably also put the oncologist on the spot and ask what he would advise if it was his partner. 
    Then I would make my mind up. 
    It’s a rotten choice. So sorry you are both pitched into this again. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Hi I would do like Dani says and ask the question to oncologist what would he advise his partner to do. It’s not the same in any way but when we were discussing do I have the 3 rd chemo or not I asked my oncologist the same question. He gave me honest reply. 
    it’s not  ideal  it also ask how invasive a neck dissection care they looking at ? 
    hugs Hazel xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help