Dry mouth and lips after tonsil cancer treatment

• 15 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hello every one. Should I bring concerned or is this normal side effects.

I suffer continuously with a dry mouth however much liquid I drink. Any advice on the best things to drink? Also in the morning I wake with very dry edges to my lips. Like chapped lips. Is this normal? Bits of skin on the edges of my lips just peel off. Not very pleasant.? Any advice would be appreciated? Thank you! JCPH X

• I think this is probably normal.  The best hydration I find is sparkling mineral water.  It works for me.  I like my tea and coffee but the tannin in tea does have the effect of drying out saliva so it is a double whammy and I know about it after I have drunk tea.  Green tea is better as less tannin.  Try chewing gum.  I find that effective at keeping some saliva going, especially if I am out walking the dog and exercising.

I do find in the morning my lips are slightly sore.  I use biotine at night and have to wake up once or twice to reapply it.  For me it does not keep the saliva flowing.  Instead it seems to coat my mouth to stop it drying out too much, especially as I breathe through my mouth at night.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Hi Peter. Thank you for your message. There is some really good ideas. I will certainly try them. I appreciate your time. Jackie (JCPH) 

• Biotene and mineral water work for me, I also drink a couple of alcohol free beers most days, dry mouth and lips are a fact of life for us... unfortunately.

Peter 

• Brilliant! Thank you Peter. You are right re being a fact of life it's just getting used to it. I really appreciate your support! Jackie (JCPH)

• I think unfortunately dry mouth and dry lips are quite common. Every night I have some coconut oil (leave it in my mouth for a few minutes - works as a moisturiser)  and I put lip balm on. I always have lip balm with me during the day. I also have a spray with water with a bit of glycerin. 

• Hi Jackie

Unfortunately one of things that is common after radiotherapy. Like the others I find that either Biotene or Oral 7 dry mouth moisturising gel really helps at night. I put a dab on my tongue before I go to bed and that helps for a few hours. Then I re-apply during the night when I wake up with a dry mouth and that sees me through the rest of the night. I used to use Xylimelts at night and they would keep me going all night with a nice moist mouth but since having another op I am unable to use them. However I would highly recommend giving them a try. You can get them on Amazon. As Fab has suggested get some lip balm and apply regularly. Once you find what works for you things get better.

Lyn

Sophie66

• Hello Fab1 thank you for your message it is appreciated! I never thought of coconut oil? I will definitely give it a try. I tried glycerin in water it wasn't too successful personally. I will try it again. The mouth dryness is unsightly and I worried there was some thing wrong  again! I have become a bit scared of any changes since my treatment. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. I used to be very philosophical and now I am a worry wart. Jackie xx 

• Hi  Lyn thank you for taking the time to reply I appreciate it.i use biotene mouth wash but haven't tried xylimil? I will look them up xx like you say try stuff until you find something that works. I am still getting used to the after effects of the treatment. Take care and thanks again x Jackie x

• Hi Jackie, this is perfectly normal and understandable to worry, once we have had cancer we worry that it might come back.Going through what we had to go through is not something we can forget, the treatment, the pain but of course the realisation of how fragile and precious life is. It changes us for ever , we progressively learn to live without having those thoughts take over. With time it eases up a tiny bit but the thought never leaves us. A couple of weeks ago I had a sore throat, I worried sick as my cancer started like that, I gave myself 48 hours and said I would see my gp if not gone then, it went but I was very anxious and could not sleep until it had gone. It is important to listen to your body and if you are concerned you should never hesitate to ask questions to all of us and also contact your oncologist or/and GP if needs be. 

Let us know if you have found anything that works for you to ease you the dryness of your mouth and lips.

I would like to mention that last time I went to France I found a mouth spray called Artisial. Works very well for me. A good alternative to the water and glycerin spray. Its formula is close to that of saliva. 

Have a wonderful day. 

Fab1

• Hi yes I still do get very dry lips. Before I go to bed I use blister moisturiser every night and have it by the bed during the night. I also use a factor 50 uvustat lip balm during the day. Hydration is the key to both must confess recently I’ve stopped drinking as much water so nite to my self drink more. Dry mouth wt night I use 1/2 a xyilmelt have done every night since treatment finished  to start with was a full tablet. We have to buy online I use hope to sleep website we don’t pay the vat on xyimelts 

Its nothing to worry about unduly just keep well moisturised and of course factor 50 sun cream I use daily as a moisturiser that way I don’t forget. 

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help