“White patch on skin” left side of throat

• 4 replies
  • 36 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I recently had a scope done, and the doctors found a white patch on the left side of my throat. They have scheduled a biopsy under general anesthesia to investigate further. I’m feeling very anxious about what this could mean. Has anyone experienced something similar or have any insights on what to expect?

Thank you for your support.

• Hi  welcome to our little community.

An exam like this under GA is a short one and when I had something similar It was as a day patient. Your throat will feel a little sore and I found paracetamol took care of it. I had the typical anaesthetic hangover and just rested that night but I was fine the next day.

As you probably suspect the surgeon is looking to rule out cancer. Hold onto the fact that 90% of referrals are NOT cancer. Biopsy results should be through in two weeks but many are taking longer. If you haven't heard then chase the hospital up yourself

Please avoid Google. You are looking for the impossible. Even your surgeon doesn't know. 

Best wishes

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi ks

I had biopsies of my throat in taken in 2023....local anaesthetic ... not too bad.

No point in trying to second guess the results....try to keep your mind occupied for the next couple of weeks...stay away from Google, info there is unreliable and only adds to stress.

Take care

Peter

• Thank you for your support. Fingers crossed Pray

• I was told the same by my nurse with regards to Google.  Thank you very much for your support.