Water tasting like slime

• 38 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Hi I am now 18 days in 35 radiotherapy on base of tongue.one problem I have is that water tastes slimy and horrible if anyone has any ideas to make drinking a bit more pleasing I would be very grateful 

• yeah, I hear ya, I hated the taste of water... you can try some cordials, heavily diluted to your taste..good luck with the rest of your treatment..  

Loz (61)

Oropharyngeal right tongue base T2N2bM0 squamous cell carcinoma p16 positive.. 

• Yes,do try tonic water,full coke not sugar free.You might find it helps to cleanse your mouth.Good luck.

• Thanks I'll give it a try 

• Thanks will try tried fizzy tastes better for a while but it starts tasting like normal might try sucking a ice cube 

• Diet Coke, diet ginger ale and sparkling spring water. 
    Still spring water might be ok too. The chlorine that’s in tap water can be a problem. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • On way back from radiotherapy I haver some still spring water in the house my wife bought in I usually only drink tap water but will give the spring water a try when I get home thank you ..

• First of all well done ! You are now half-way through your treatment! I could not have water all all either for a long time. It tasted indeed really horrible and slimy. Very weird. I used to carried a bottle of frozen diet coke and could only take tiny sips but it was something at least when I was out going to my radiotherapy sessions. All my liquid (water) otherwise had to go through my peg. 

• Thank you I may try and use my peg if needs be but trying hold out as long as I can

• Hi remember you  pegs there for a reason please use it as you need to be drinking 2-3 litres of water everyday. Our tap,water at home is hard water and tasted vile for more than a year. I bought bottled water tried filtering it but my mouth couldn’t tolerate it. Soda water I coukd rinse my mouth with after I let it go a little flat. 

later we had 2 kettles as I couldn’t stand tap water being boiled for drinks , hubby used tap I used bottle. 

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• In my case tap water tasted like sea water at around your stage.  I tried various sparkling mineral waters and found one that actually had a reasonable taste.  Alas it really is all about experimentation.  Now, 51/2 months after treatment finished I am just able to start drinking tap water once again although it still tastes "different" to before and is nowhere near as satisfying as the sparkling water, but is a hell of a lot cheaper! 

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey