Weaning off pain relief!?

• 67 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Hi all

I can’t believe I’m saying it, but thank goodness I’m 2 months post end of treatment, yahoo!!

I won’t go over how tough it’s been, I know you all know, blimey we’re a tough lot!!

However, I’m now at a stage where now I’m feeling a little better, I’d like to be able to drive again……it’s rather lonely living alone, and all the visitors have dwindled off.  I’m currently taking 10mg of slow release ‘Oxycodone’ both morning and night ie 20mg in total a day.  I reduced this with the agreement of my team on Saturday, from 30mg a day.  The nurse suggested I go with 20mg for a week and see how get on, then reduce to maybe 15mg for a week and so on.    Has anyone else gone through this, how long did it take to come off the ‘controlled’ meds……I’m so very desperate to drive again

Deborah x

• Hi Loz

I don’t mind being a dress size down, it’s the lack of appetite that’s the biggest problem.  Will force it down some how I guess Grimacing

’All clear’  That’s wonderful to hear…….it gives me hope, long may that continue Fingers crossed tone1

Deborah x

• same thing happened to me.. had my thyroid scan yesterday.. will hopefully get my results in time for my ENT/scope appointment in August.. the deeper they dig the more they find, it seems.. 

Loz (61)

Oropharyngeal right tongue base T2N2bM0 squamous cell carcinoma p16 positive.. 

• Been thrown another curve ball, turns out when I went for my 1st appt with Oncologist on Friday last week that there’s also ‘nodule’ on my thyroid!?  Apparently they saw this on the scan during their planning of my treatment but omitted to tell me, what the heck?  The hope is that the treatment may have dealt with it?  Don’t have the 3 months mri till first week in September, but in the meantime theyd like me to have an ultrasound scan on my thyroid.  Got the call yesterday, I’m there tomorrow at 2pm….its certainly a roller coaster!!

Absolutely the exact same thing happened to me. Got a call for an ultrasound completely out of the blue. No explanation. I was seeing the dieticians after treatment the next day but they couldn’t help me either. 
    The chap doing the ultrasound faffed around looking at my diagnostic mri and going back to the scan and back to the mri. Finally he said I had a lesion on my thyroid cartilage which hadn’t changed in three months so he was assured it was benign. 
    Weeks later I tackled my oncologist about it. He said that the MRI had spotted it but it wouldn’t have affected my treatment whatever it was and there was no point in telling me about it

Later the PET confirmed there was no activity there so by default and without a biopsy the diagnosis is a benign cartilage tumour, a chondroma. It’s what the sonographer diagnosed by appearance and what PET and oncologist were happy to go along with. 
    I’ve forgotten about it but I do give my throat a good exam and my neck a poke about, monthly, even five years on. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • I guess you like cake.. try it with LOTS of warm drink to wash it down.. ice cream, magnums, etc.. I did a lot of soups as well.. see how you get on.. 

Loz (61)

• I guess you like cake.

Wet cake is better. We call it trifle in wales Wink

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Omg, that is just the same!! 
    That’s kind of reassuring, it just goes on and on doesn’t it Rolling eyes

Thanks Dani x

• Touché Upside down

Loz (61)

• Haha I do, and Magnums…..well, normally!  I forced a Magnum down last night.  Can’t believe I’m saying that ‘forced’ it down, it’s so difficult to explain to people isn’t it.  Sadly, you have to have been there to get it Grimacing

I got a ‘family’ trifle last week, it was ‘yuk’ but I forced it down in 3 attempts Sweat smile

• Yes we’re a select bunch who know where you’re coming from.i eat much slower than my hubby now so the bonus is he does the pots and tidy the kitchen. Every cloud has a silver lining. Often there no logical reason of why one week we can eat something but the next week we can’t my hubby never got that. 
    babysteps will get you there. 

hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• I find Mr Whippy works well for an ice cream.  Normally I don't do that style of ice cream, but it works for now.  I had Tiramisu last night for the first time since treatment. Now that  worked really well Drooling face

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey